Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is expected engine life on Ski

So when people say, 500 hours, or 1000 hours etc, is that that? i mean these are expensive machines! or does that mean you just take the engine apart and rebuild it. Yes obviously how you ride/maintain your ski has alot to do with it. Just wondering what people mean by certain hours a ski can live too

like you said, its all about how you take care of it. there is no expiration date on them.

+1
    A ski's life is in direct relation to your right hand, and of course your maintenance. It isn't really an hour meter, it's more like a fun-meter. How many hours can you log before having to go back to work!

i've been told about supercharged doo's doing 400 hrs and still going well, serviced regularly though. Also a 155hp has done over 1000hrs still going good. A big problem that kills engines besides your right hand is corrosion from lack of rust prevention if your salt water riding at least. But mainly how you take care of them will get you those big hrs and reliability.

Thats what gets me thinking, so when you say a supercharged doo doing over 400 and still going well.. does that mean they arnt suppose to perform after a certain amount of hours? forgive me i have just purchased a 2008 RXT X 255 supercharger and just trying to get info i only ride in fresh water not salt, and do mostly pulling of tubes etc

+1
    IMO the biggest deciding factor with a supercharged motor will be how lucky you are with supercharger failures eg bearings or washers

Honestly mate, i dont think this is a question that can be truly answered. But to help you out i would say that the better you look after it the longer it performs obviously But there is not Best Before date or that kind of thing, its not just gonna get to 500hrs and conk out, If its maintained, the supercharger has its regular 100hr rebuilds, things are replaced when they wear out, then really it should last. They will perform pretty much the same over its life, but obviously things do wear and it will lose a tiny bit of power over its life, but really hardly noticeable. The other fact of the matter is that yes these are expensive toys and probably not one of those things you buy one of and it lasts a lifetime like a decent boat, (remember it is a luxury item) but more like a thing that gets traded in after 5 years and you get another one, or you spend the money to completely rebuild it when it finally dies after 10 years (maybe i dont know) Theres a lot of variables at play here and all i can say is what other people i know have achieved, and thats all you can work on as in what you could potentially see out of your own ski.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    IMO the biggest deciding factor with a supercharged motor will be how lucky you are with supercharger failures eg bearings or washers
    Pretty sure the 08' had steel washers, but i will have to look it up. Regardless if it gets rebuilt when it needs to then it should be good.

+1
    Still not uncommon to loose the washers or have a bearing failure with an 08+ charger

True, but those ceramics were ticking bombs Jetsta do a search for "engine hours" I asked a question on this myself and since have done further research/asked more people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information