Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Redoing oil lines on 94 Raider and 97 GP1200 for reliability?

Okay, I know the best and most reliable way to do this is to just block off the oil pump and premix the gas.

I think that the pumps are long lasting and reliable but the old oil lines tend to fall off. I'd like to know if I can just replace the old, hard oil hoses with new and still have a reliable oiling system?

Has anyone done this or should I just go premix? I'm really starting to doubt the reliability of my stock oil injection lines!

danny reread your first paragraph and go premix

+1
    order a roll of tubing from http://fuel-line.net/, new check valves and use the oetiker style clamps and ull be good. make sure to prime it!

+1
    I redid mine with OEM lines from Yamaha, new check valves, and oetiker clamps. The new OEM lines fit really nice and tight and are soft and flexible. And I inspect them regularly.

+1
    big raider, I know that in the end to be 100% safe, you're right. I just wanted to see if anyone had successfully redone their oil lines with new stuff that would actually stay attached to the fittings.

It looks like the oetiker clamps are the way to go with new oil lines. These clamps have got to be more reliable than the stock zip ties, right? official and Cutlass, where did you get your oetiker clamps? What size?

What about the new check valves. Do I really need them or could I just keep using mine?

As of the last time out (4th of July) my skis' stock oil systems were still working but I know that I'm chancing the old oil lines and unreliable zip ties.

+1
    I got my oetiker clamps from McMaster-Carr. Part number 52545K38 (5.8mm to 7mm clamping range.) I ended needing some bigger ones for the fittings on my flame arrestor adaptors. Those fittings stretched the hose out a little more and the 52545k38 oetiker clamps didn't fit. the next size up does fit.
    As for new check valves, thats up to you. I just did it because I wanted new ones.

+1
    I actually bought my clamps from island racing, but I have heard of people using the mc master ones no problem. I wouldn't waste money on the yamaha lines, I have done fuel and oil lines with the lines from the place I posted, and it's fine. I only ride saltwater as well.

+1
    Cutlass and official_style, that is great info to know and I'm really happy to know that some people have actually put new lines and reliable clamps on these old oil injection systems.

official, I'm going to assume that you used 1/8" ID hose for the oil lines, right?

+1
    1/8" hose is the correct size. Its really close to the 3mm size as the oem lines/fittings.

+1
    ya i used the 1/8 and also did the fuel lines, no problem. i purple'd my old raider lol. they sell a pvc pipe cutter that is cheap at home depot that is perfect for cutting the hose.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information