Gp1300r 2006 ran great on water for 4 hrs now not firing

Hi guys, kinda new to the forum as far as posting. I have read a lot. Need some help. I rode over 4 hours yesterday and stop and started the ski numerous times. It never hesitated nor did ever skip the 1st time. When I pulled it up on the trailer at the dock, I ran the excess water out of the motor and it ran very smooth. I pulled the ski home through a very heavy rain storm that lasted about 1 hr. I got the ski home and hooked it up to flush it. When I started the ski, it ran rough for about 10 seconds (skipping) and shut down. It would not fire after that. I pulled the plugs and no fire at any of the plugs. Get this, I disconnected the main computer wiring harness and it started firing. I sprayed some starting fluid in the cylinders, put the plugs in, fired it up, idles fine but of course shuts off due to no fuel because injectors aren't firing with computer harness disconnected. I reconnected the harness and the firing of the plugs disappear. I did open up the cover on the handlebars where the kill switch is at and it was wet. I have unsuccessfully got it to fire with the computer harness wired up. Any ideas on as to why I can not get fire at the plug with the harness connected.

Thanks

Got it

Quote Originally Posted by chevyrocks3 View Post
    Hi guys, kinda new to the forum as far as posting. I have read a lot. Need some help. I rode over 4 hours yesterday and stop and started the ski numerous times. It never hesitated nor did ever skip the 1st time. When I pulled it up on the trailer at the dock, I ran the excess water out of the motor and it ran very smooth. I pulled the ski home through a very heavy rain storm that lasted about 1 hr. I got the ski home and hooked it up to flush it. When I started the ski, it ran rough for about 10 seconds (skipping) and shut down. It would not fire after that. I pulled the plugs and no fire at any of the plugs. Get this, I disconnected the main computer wiring harness and it started firing. I sprayed some starting fluid in the cylinders, put the plugs in, fired it up, idles fine but of course shuts off due to no fuel because injectors aren't firing with computer harness disconnected. I reconnected the harness and the firing of the plugs disappear. I did open up the cover on the handlebars where the kill switch is at and it was wet. I have unsuccessfully got it to fire with the computer harness wired up. Any ideas on as to why I can not get fire at the plug with the harness connected.

Thanks

Well, I think I got it fixed. 1st thing I did was unplug the wiring harness to the fuel injectors/throttle body, It would fire. Connect it, fire disappeared. I took the stinger pipe off and unplugged every connection around the throttle body (TPS, fuel injectors, stepper motor, engine temp sensor, etc). I untaped the wiring harness and inspected the wires. I then reconnected the the harness under the nose. No fire. I then plugged in the stepper motor harness on the fuel rail and fire reappeared. I then connected every plug one by one to the injectors, TPS, engine temp sensor, etc insuring after each connection I still had fire. Before reconnecting everything I did take the coolant temp sensor off the stinger and plugged it in. Once everything was plugged back up and I still had fire, I installed the plugs and she fired right up.

I talked with Jim with Jim's Performance and he seemed to think it may have been a bad connection at the stepper motor all along. Jim is a great guy. He rebuilt my motor a few weeks back and did an excellant job! Thanks Jim and Kevin (Water Woody) for all of your help.

I will tape the wires back up and put the plastic conduit back on the harness and re-install the stinger pipe tomorrow. Hope this info helps someone else.

+1
    Interesting. I just had this happen to me Saturday. I also have a thread about chasing a misfire. I wonder if these things are related. I will check all that you mentioned. Thank you for your post and details.

Thread Information