New old stock 2009 FZS with speedometer and steering concerns

I just got a new 0 hours 2009 FZS and I have a couple concerns about it.

1) The steering seems really stiff compared to my old RXP. Does it loosen up over time? Is it adjustable?

2) At certain trim levels the speedometer reports the wrong speed. With the trim all the way up, cruising reports 25mph. Is this a design flaw or should I have the dealer fix it under warranty.

Other than that I love the ski. It handles great and flies like a rocket.

+1
    Yes the steering will loosen up a bit over time. The speedo on a stock ski/ rideplate should be pretty accurate at all speeds. Mine would typically read 5mph faster than actual speed but it was never off more than that.

Mine with the VX plate goes like90 LOL,LOL

+1
    With my modded vx plate the speedo is accurate still, but it does read 80 at wot. Taking sharp turns also causes the speedo to drop.

+1
    Ours both had smooth steering from the factory, no problemo.
    What's a speedo? Seriously, I never look at that thing just use the GPS every now and then when we're making speed tests and stuff.

+1
    The Yamaha's intensionally have a "stiffer" feel to the steering. I believe have always done this and even my old 95 WaveVenture does this. I know what you are talking about because when I rode my friends new 2011 RXT-X a couple of weeks ago, there is *no* friction what-so-ever. I can see your concern, but nothing to worry about. They do that so that the steering will not change unless some force is put into it.

As the others have said, you shouldn't worry about the stock speedo. It works by a paddle wheel on the ride plate and can be very inaccurate. Some of the newer Sea-Doo's have a GPS built in. A GPS is the *only* way to get an accurate speed on any ski. That is the reason why you will see so many posts asking if it was "GPS" speed rather than the built-in speedo and also the reason most of us have some aftermarket GPS.

+1
    My FZR's steering is a lot stiffer than my FX SHO. I've checked all the cables and everything is good. It's just they way they feel. My speedo was fairly accurate with the stock plate, but with the worx plate, it's nowhere near accurate. Shows like 25 MPH when I'm doing 65.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    My FZR's steering is a lot stiffer than my FX SHO. I've checked all the cables and everything is good. It's just they way they feel. My speedo was fairly accurate with the stock plate, but with the worx plate, it's nowhere near accurate. Shows like 25 MPH when I'm doing 65.
    Yeah the Worx plate flows the water different, so you have a hard time getting a accurate read. I look at RPM's anyways vs MPH. If you want to feel stiff steering, put a auto drop nozzle and you need some P90X to turn that baby.

+1
    has to do with space and shims. i don't use mine really at all , i look at at my tach..speedo on pwc = dream o' meter

Thread Information