Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fiberglass repair

Hey guys I ran my ski up on some rocks last weekend cause the water in the river was goin down and I could not stop cause of the current. I have this resin that I got that is Spose to be good for filling in the fiberglass. Do I have to worry about it delaminating as long as I fill it all in and let it dry correctly? Any suggestions on the best way to apply this or anything else will be appreciated. The can says to Sand the paint off with 40-80 grit is that good or should I do something different?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310429207.323533.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	245338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310429239.129836.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	245339  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by I love water View Post
    Hey guys I ran my ski up on some rocks last weekend cause the water in the river was goin down and I could not stop cause of the current. I have this resin that I got that is Spose to be good for filling in the fiberglass. Do I have to worry about it delaminating as long as I fill it all in and let it dry correctly? Any suggestions on the best way to apply this or anything else will be appreciated. The can says to Sand the paint off with 40-80 grit is that good or should I do something different?
    Hey man, I thought I responded to your PM but just realized it diddnt go through. I would not use that for what you are trying to do. First thing you need to do is get a fan on the bottom of that ski and make sure it is totaly dry. These things can drip for weeks. I suggest using an epoxy filler. If you want a quick easy fix to get you back on the water go down to an autobody supply store and pick up some 3m panel bonder. It is a dark grey (almost black) 2 part epoxy. Only thing is that it does take a special gun to use it. Most body shops have it and may loan it or rent it to you if the supply store wont. Sand and feather in the area and surrounding area with 80 grit. Make sure the area is clean, dry, and oil free. Use the automix nozzle that comes with the epoxy and sqeeze out a sufficient amount on a clean piece of cardboard and then use a bondo spreader to apply a smooth coat over the area. Make sure to use a light touch so that you have some buildup. Let sit overnight and then sand epoxy smooth with a block and some 80 grit to start. If you still have some low area's you can apply another coat now. Once smoothed out with 80 then follow up with 180 grit then 320 grit until smooth. At this point it will be water tight and you will have no risk of delam. Hope this helps.

What kind and where can I get the epoxy filler or is it the same as the 3m stuff ? Also how long should I wait for all the epoxy or whatever i end up using dry?

would this be the bonder you are talking about?
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0486&ppt=C0171

Which way do you recommend fixing it ?

+1
    http://www.drillspot.com/products/45..._Adhesive?s=16

This is the stuff i'm refering to. As long as there are no cracks through the glass I would repair it just as I described above.

ok yea I was just a little over idle and the current pushing me so it just racked the paint off of it

What type of epoxy filler do you reccomend? Cause the gun for that 2 part stuff is 400 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Hey man, I thought I responded to your PM but just realized it diddnt go through. I would not use that for what you are trying to do. First thing you need to do is get a fan on the bottom of that ski and make sure it is totaly dry. These things can drip for weeks. I suggest using an epoxy filler. If you want a quick easy fix to get you back on the water go down to an autobody supply store and pick up some 3m panel bonder. It is a dark grey (almost black) 2 part epoxy. Only thing is that it does take a special gun to use it. Most body shops have it and may loan it or rent it to you if the supply store wont. Sand and feather in the area and surrounding area with 80 grit. Make sure the area is clean, dry, and oil free. Use the automix nozzle that comes with the epoxy and sqeeze out a sufficient amount on a clean piece of cardboard and then use a bondo spreader to apply a smooth coat over the area. Make sure to use a light touch so that you have some buildup. Let sit overnight and then sand epoxy smooth with a block and some 80 grit to start. If you still have some low area's you can apply another coat now. Once smoothed out with 80 then follow up with 180 grit then 320 grit until smooth. At this point it will be water tight and you will have no risk of delam. Hope this helps.

Sounds like you done this before.Lol Damn bodyshop stuff

Something else that works in a pinch is feather the gouge or small crack and cover with 2 layers of clear packing tape. Mix some epoxy resin with cabosil ,which is just a thickening agent, cut the end off a turkey injection needle and inject the gouge with the thickened resin through the tape, wait 24 to 48 hours and sand flush like you would any other filler.. This should only be used on smaller repairs since just the resin will not have much strength but works great on rock chips and gouges.. good luck.

Yea he owns his own body shop in Fl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information