What would you do?

I'm new to jet skis and new to this site. A friend took me out on his ski a few weeks ago and it was my first time I had a blast and now I'm hooked. I found a 1997 1100 on craigslist looks brand new it has a new motor (only 5 hours on it). The motor was put in 2 seasons ago. The problem is that the lady that is selling it doesn't want to start it. Her husband is away in military and she really doesn't know what to do. She was asking 2400 for it but I said there no way I would pay her that with out testing I offered her 1500 she came back with 1750. I told her the only way I would do it is I will give her half cash and the other half I would give her a post dayed check for the other half for 5 days after I pick up. She was ok with that(I was surprises) she has all the paper work for the new motor. What would you do? Like I said it looks brand new. I looked at 5-6 other skies in that price and they don't look any where as nice.

check the oil lines before you ride. please...

+1
    The engine looking brand new doesn't mean much IHMO. It can look nice but could've been put together using cheap parts and cheap gaskets and might not last long. What does the paperwork say the new motor is from?
    If its a 97 1100, it must be a WaveVenture. Not a bad ski, but wouldn't be my first choice. What do you intend on using the ski for? Lakes, rivers, ocean? Calm or choppy waters? Plan on modifying it for speed or handling? Towing a tube? Jumping waves?

Thanks for you response when I was talking about band new i was talking about the ski itself. The paint is in great shape and it even has a nice shine. The paperwork was an invoice for motor and install. The ski would be mainly used in lake and I would like to pull tube I don't really care about mods. As I understand the ski Is capable of doing 50-55mph that's good enough for me as this is my first ski.

+1
    Well it is a 3 person ski(which is what you need to legally pull a tube) and has enough power to pull a tube. So you're good there. I think this will be a nice 1st ski for you!

What do you about buying a ski without starting it or driving it

+1
    I did that. Well I started in on the trailer, but no water test....And I ended up having to rebuild the engine. It was worn out. I mean it was rideable. I rode it half a dozen times at the end of august/september. But I could tell it wasn't quite right. It wouldn't idle nice when warmed up (stalled often) and top speed was down about 5 to 8mph from what it should have been.
    I was new to PWCs and 2 strokes in general. I basically paid for my education, lol! But I'm ok with that, because I now know alot about my GP and feel comfortable fixing and maintaining it.
    Next time, though...I'm water testing, compression testing and inspecting everything I can.

+1
    Go to Napa, buy a compression gauge.
    Buy a new waverunner battery, charge it fully.
    Search in Yamaha 2-strokes for compression test and read, read, read.
    Take your gauge, hook up your new battery and do a comp test. You do not have to start it.
    This will satisfy her and give you a bit of an idea regarding the state of the motor.
    Price sounds good as long as comp readings pan out.
    Good Luck.

Thread Information