Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Troubles with my pro

I have been riding my pro quite a bit lately and it has been running excellent for the most part, except for Saturday, I took it for a ride up the river and had to stop to clean out my strainer(thanks art) and I noticed the cap from the mag gas valve was laying down on the starter, I zip tied it back on and limped home. After I found the missing bolts and reinstalled them with some blue locktite(I also did the same for the other two.) I decided to pull the head and check the wash while I was in there and discovered I was way lean, no wash at all. I reinstalled the head and did a comp test and got 126 psi on all three, which is proper for my domes. Took it out for a ride the next day and it was cutting out and wouldnt really rev up unless I circled to the right.
    I was thinking it was still a lean condition so I took the carbs completely apart and inspected them, and they were immaculate with no signs of wear at all so I reinstalled them and tried it again and the same condition exists. I went through all the fuel lines and there were no bubbles in the lines, the shut off has been bypassed, the vent is working fine, no hissing of the cap, I am running sunoco ultra and klutz benol at 40/1 with an ounce of marine stabil.
    I think the biggest clue is that it revs right up when circling to the right, any ideas?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    I have been riding my pro quite a bit lately and it has been running excellent for the most part, except for Saturday, I took it for a ride up the river and had to stop to clean out my strainer(thanks art) and I noticed the cap from the mag gas valve was laying down on the starter, I zip tied it back on and limped home. After I found the missing bolts and reinstalled them with some blue locktite(I also did the same for the other two.) I decided to pull the head and check the wash while I was in there and discovered I was way lean, no wash at all. I reinstalled the head and did a comp test and got 126 psi on all three, which is proper for my domes. Took it out for a ride the next day and it was cutting out and wouldnt really rev up unless I circled to the right.
    I was thinking it was still a lean condition so I took the carbs completely apart and inspected them, and they were immaculate with no signs of wear at all so I reinstalled them and tried it again and the same condition exists. I went through all the fuel lines and there were no bubbles in the lines, the shut off has been bypassed, the vent is working fine, no hissing of the cap, I am running sunoco ultra and klutz benol at 40/1 with an ounce of marine stabil.
    I think the biggest clue is that it revs right up when circling to the right, any ideas?
    I am in no way an expert, but if there is no wash you are way rich. Extreme rich situations will clean the wash off. What did the plugs look like and the exhaust valves? What changed except for the exhaust valve coming loose?

I think you misunderstood me when I said no wash, what I mean is my tops are black with no clean spots at all.
    Nothing different, except the cap coming loose. The plugs were a little black but still looked very good, the valves are perfect.
    I was leaning towards a bad fuel sender maybe?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    I think you misunderstood me when I said no wash, what I mean is my tops are black with no clean spots at all.
    Nothing different, except the cap coming loose. The plugs were a little black but still looked very good, the valves are perfect.
    I was leaning towards a bad fuel sender maybe?
    In that case, I would say you were really lean on all cylinders. Add more fuel till the wash pulls back and retune. I was reading in my book that you shoud tune these and record the settings. Once set, pull the needles and put loc tite on them and reinsert. Not sure I believe that, but that's what it says. I am in the same boat with a burned piston, I will faten all the cylinders till I can retune to optimal performance. Good luck.

The wash was slightly rich prior to the valve cap coming off, And I'm sure that is the reason the cylinders leaned out, so I figured I will leave my adjusters where they are and closely monitor the wash. I just need to figure out why it won't rev unless I'm turning right.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Post #5 half way down identifies hard right turns increasing in RPM signals too rich.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-Engines-Carbs

Don't think that's the case here though....

Blow back through your fuel hose making sure they are clear.

Check your carb fuel restrictor isn't clogged.

Make sure there's no liquids inside the pulse hoses.

Check that all the intake manifold and carb base nuts are secured.

Check for debris in your pump intake too.

I highly doubt your sender is bad. Clogged maybe, but not bad.

It's just a hollow tube with a hole at the bottom. Air pressure built up inside the tank forces the fuel to the fuel pump. Not really much of a "sender" if you will....

Hi,

According to this: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...l=1#post175996

Seems that you're running too rich.

Meeks

So I put in a fresh set of plugs, full charge on the battery, and now it won't start at all!!
    It is getting plenty of fuel, but almost no spark at all, I might get a spark on each plug every few seconds of cranking, so now I guess I have some electrical troubleshooting to do, I know the usual suspects, but I'm hoping someone like lugs can just give me the easy answer lol

Ok, so I tested the stator, and it was good, coils test good, kill switch tested good, start button is good, wires cut back and test good from cap to plug.
    All this and still just random spark, should I be looking at the stator still or maybe the cdi?

+1
    I would check and or replace the ground wire that goes from the electrical box (both halfs) to the engine and make sure that connection is clean.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information