Question oil soaked plugs?

Last two springs I have had a slight issue getting my stock 96 SLX fired up. When I check the plugs they are soaked in oil. I clean then off, try starting again (sometimes with ether) and eventually she takes off. Now when I first start it up (starts pretty easily) I notice that she is a little boggy once you try to go from trolling to on plane. If I troll around for a while (5 mins or so) it loosens up and runs fine.

That being said, I am thinking my carbs are in need of a cleaning. That sound about right or should I be looking more at the fuel pump?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthras View Post
    Last two springs I have had a slight issue getting my stock 96 SLX fired up. When I check the plugs they are soaked in oil. I clean then off, try starting again (sometimes with ether) and eventually she takes off. Now when I first start it up (starts pretty easily) I notice that she is a little boggy once you try to go from trolling to on plane. If I troll around for a while (5 mins or so) it loosens up and runs fine.

That being said, I am thinking my carbs are in need of a cleaning. That sound about right or should I be looking more at the fuel pump?
    Plugs shouldn't be "soaked in oil". I would compression check first.

Oil may be bleeding into case while sitting, I just bought 2 sl650's 1 had that issue.
    to be more specific the oil tank is higher than the case, allowing gravity to do the work. I'm sure there is suppose to be something in line as a restrictor, but doesn't mean it's working.

Had the compression checked last fall and it was awesome. ( dont have the numbers off the top of my head) Thats an interesting idea about the drainage. I do get a little oil in the bilge too, wonder if it is related. Maybe after it sits for a bit it clogs up the cylinders and once I idle around for a bit it burns it up and runs normally....Anyone have a solution?

Is this every time or just in the spring?
    If it is just in the spring it is probably from fogging when winterizing the jet ski.

When I bought these skis they had set for quite a few yrs. There was enough in the case that it would actually hydralic lock itself, when the guy showed me them. To test it next time you suspect it will do this, leave the kill switch out and pull the plugs. Let it spin over a few times and be ready for a little mess.

Quote Originally Posted by hottelssss View Post
    , leave the kill switch out and pull the plugs. Let it spin over a few times and be ready for a little mess.
    throw a rag over the sparkplug holes it keeps everything from spraying everywhere or shooting a stream of oil/fuel directly in your eyes

Thread Information