New piston or full rebuild?

Traded my buggy for a pair of jetskis. (98 slth 700 and 97 sltx 1050). Fortunately, the 700 runs fine, but I did a compression test on the 1050 and got 0 on the center piston. (120 on first and third).

I opened up the middle cylinder and saw the picture attached. My big question is: Can I just replace the piston in the one cylinder without removing / rebuilding the whole engine? Cylinder walls appear to be smooth, maybe need a light hone.

Normally, I would have no problem with a full rebuild, but since Lake Mead is going to ban 2 stroke starting 1/1/2013, not sure I want to dump alot of money into the ski for 1 1/2 years of use.

Anyone transplant a 4 stroke?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04195.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	245415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04200.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	245414

Saving the Manuals every day.. TheBlueMartin's Avatar
    +1
    yeah, the middle one is the biggest pain in the butt to pull by itself, but it can be done. Have you pulled the other heads to see what those cylinders look like inside? You might have to go +.25 over on that cylinder, it looks pretty scored.

no, didn't look at them yet. the cylinder looks like it has a sleeve. Can you bore a sleeve? my neighbor might come over and check for round. He suggested Skiwi if I wanted to have someone else fix it. might check them out next monday.

+1
    Any PWC dealer can do this repair, but you'll pay a lot more letting them do it all. All the 2-strokes have aluminum jugs with a steel sleeve, and can be bored by any good machine shop. Since you have the head off already, I believe you just need to take the 4 base nuts off the jug and it will pull straight up and off. Ive never seen damage like that to a piston, so you may want to check your crank to make sure a roller bearing didnt let go. If the crank and the other two pistons are fine, just fix the one jug up as needed and ride!

That is what I was thinking of doing, but don't know how I should "check the crank". Wiggle the connecting rod and feel for any roughness?

I'm used to working on cars with oil pressure and temp gauges. This two stroke stuff is all new to me!

My buddy said that the missing material COULD have been blown out the exhaust and to check the pipe for remains. Otherwise it might be bouncing around the crankcase which would be bad.

Where u from? Living in Henderson, NV (suburb of Las Vegas) 16 miles from Boulder launch ramp of Lake Mead
    what kind of ski - Polaris 1997 SLTX1050, 1998 SLTH700
    what year - see above
    what kind of engine - see above
    how many hours on the meter? 120-160 hours
    how long did it sit - last registered in 2008, but PO said they "snuck" it onto the lake
    any new/modified parts on it - not that I'm aware of
    recent tune-ups or rebuild - not sure. Air cleaner looks fresh
    general history of the ski if you know - dont know
    price - traded for 1000cc chinese buggy I bought for $5k in 2006 and was pretty worn out (even with the busted ski, I think I still got the better deal)
    comes with trailer? - 2 ski trailer with gear box and tray that could be used for fuel / other stuff
    live on water? - 16 miles away
    did the ski run on saltwater or normal lake water - pretty sure all Lake Mead
    compression numbers? 120-130 on both skis except for the 0 pictured above
    does it run? 700 runs, 1050 no compression, but started when traded (quite rough obviously)
    Pictures,videos? - picture in my album
    mechanical knowledge - alot of work on cars (restoring 65 mustang). alot of tune-up / maintenance, intakes, carbs, not alot of internal engine work.
    tools - lots of hand tools, air tools, air compressor, welder. and of course a BFH

+1
    Any of the bearings could be bad, including the main. Thats where it might be helpful to have a professional come in.

Thread Information