Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2001 Polaris Genesis idle problem

Hello, I have a 2001 Polaris Genesis that is not operating correctly. At idle it constantly revs and lowers, revs and lowers. Sounds like crap. Pushing the throttle gets a bogging effect. Plugs looks horrible. (btw: what are the proper plugs? manual says bpr8es) picked up some but they where 13/16 instead of 5/8. Have not did a compression check or checked fire/fuel on all cylinders. I think the problem is there but not sure. This engine is direct injection. Any insight on anything else to check would be great.
    Thank you for your time,
    Jessie00721

Forgot to mention that when the engine revs a red light on the dash comes on, then goes off when rpms go down, its a constant loop. Dont know if that matters or not.

Update: Compression checked and even on all cyl. Though it was low, like 100psi but that just might be my gauge.

Hi, I own a genesis but not the FFI version, so things might be different. Ive had alot of running problems recently and changing the spark plugs certainly helps ALOT. bpr8es are the ones for mine but may differ for yours. CHECK THE SAPRK PLUG GAP should be about 0.8mm for yours.
    The red light is never a good sign - either you have the thing in reverse or there is some sort of warning message being displayed...
    e.g. - overtemp ect
    Best check to make sure all cylinders are firing is to feel if the spark plugs are warm.

Sounds like the 'bogging' affect might be exhaust related, i had exactly the same problem with mine and realised that the exhaust was escaping through a rusted jubilee clip. THERE SHOULD BE NO EXHAUST FUMES IN THE ENGINE BAY

Hope this helps a bit. George

Thanks for the reply, found out that the plugs are supposed to be NGK PZFR6H. I need to replace them still. I seen today if you unplug the TPS it sounds much better but still has a slight surge up and down on the rpms but that might be because of the plugs. Have another tps here and when I plug it in it does the same thing. I dont know if there is a way to actually test the sensor. Apparently the one in there is brand new. Does the system need to be reset to remove any codes a bad TPS might of caused? and if so, how do you reset it? Thanks again

From what I have learned the TPS cant be acceptably bench tested. If you swaped it and its better you probably got more than one issue. Have you checked all the basics like fuel pressure and compression on the cylinders?

you really need to get the correct plugs, if your ski is a fuel injected model it will only accept the pzfr6h plugs.....start with that

There should be a small reset button on the side of the ECU - although i have not had much luck with that.
    The ECU is like that of a car's. It will remember the codes for a period of time and then, solongs everything is ok - it will forget them. This could take a few hours of running though. The other way is to get them reset using a reader device, again, similar to the way you would reset a car's trouble codes. Im not sure how much they are, but you may be able to find someone/garage where you live that has one??

I agree though - change the plugs before you do anything else.

George

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by george.r View Post
    There should be a small reset button on the side of the ECU - although i have not had much luck with that.
    The ECU is like that of a car's. It will remember the codes [/COLOR]for a period of time and then, solongs everything is ok - it will forget them. This could take a few hours of running though. The other way is to get them reset using a reader device, again, similar to the way you would reset a car's trouble codes. Im not sure how much they are, but you may be able to find someone/garage where you live that has one??

I agree though - change the plugs before you do anything else.

George
    Reset button??? On a Ficht EMM there isnt a "reset" button that I am aware of.

there is a buttom in there that says reset, not really sure what it is supposed to be resetting though.

got the plugs in and they do the same thing. Switching spark plug wires around seem to make a different, does not surge but bogs when pressing the throttle. Any other ideas and can someone tell me what coil packs go to what cylinders so I am sure. I assume someone was playing around and moved them? Thanks

checked the wiring diagram and the plugs was originally in the correct position. Surges with them in the correct position. Surging is up in the 3200 rpm range. Again, when removing the TPS idle drops down to about 1250 rpm and it does not sound too bad. Cant give it gas, it will just bog. Check engine light keeps coming on, saying check engine and engine overheat. The water temp sensor ohms out about 1117 or so. coil packs all ohm at 304. I test one of the tps the best way I read on here how to and it seems ok. 5 volt to red connector, ground to black and the green wire would go from 0 volts closed to 5 volts with the lever all the way over, transistion seems smooth. I found ground in the ski confusing. Some items connect directly to ground while others do not. On the side of the computer that has the black wires for the tps and water and air temp, cps all dont connect directly to ground but function somehow. Cant get an actual volt reading at the tps but it makes a difference because with out it, 1200 rpm, with it, 3200 rpm with bad surging. Any insight would be apprieciated.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information