Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Unhappy Yet, another water ingestion problem rxpx

Last week, some friends and I along with BOATADDICT were riding on the Ottawa River and I can honestly say it was one of my worst days ever! I launched my RXP-X into the river, and I warmed up my machine for a few minutes idling waiting for the others to get their skis in. Once everybody was in the water, we rode WOT for about 3-5 minutes. Once we all stopped, I noticed my back end of the PX hanging very low in the water... I was like "Sh!t!" I yelled over to one of the guys I was with "I gotta go back to the ramp! I'm sinking!" So I raced it back to the ramp, but then it started porpoising really bad....... I think I made it 90% of the way to the ramp before I heard the engine started to lose power... so I cut the power before it died on it's own. It sunk.

So the lot of us managed to get the ski to the shore and drain it of the water. Pull the dipstick and the oil didn't look so bad. When the water was drained, I stuffed my shirt into the exhaust port in the back and we towed it back to the ramp.... it floated alright at this point.

2 days later, BOATADDICT and I did about 4-5 oil changes. The oil was super milky. BOATADDICT also had one of those camera's that snakes into the engine... pretty neat toy! Anyways, there was water on the pistons.

BOATADDICT then notices how the machine sunk... he saw a small hose about 1" in diameter not clamped that sits on the back part of the IC. This must have popped off when riding because I can honestly say I've never mucked around with that hose!

So anyways, he tightens it.

We do about 6-7 oil changes in total.

BOATADDICT tries to get the water out of the SC, IC and KANEFLEX hose for my air intake and I believe my manifold as much as possible. He then starts it up taking the IC blowout hose off. It starts fine! And with the IC blowout hose off, more water spits out! We're both pretty convinced we got all the water out!

So tonight, we take it out again to try and see how she runs!

Starts up fine, doesn't seem to be taking on any water after riding for about 5mins... so all is good right? Wrong!

When I opened it up to WOT, I could only get 60-64MPH out of it... about 8000RPM....

I didn't want to risk damaging the engine if there was something seriously wrong... so I took it out of the water.... The coolant seemed fine, the oil on the dipstick appeared to be at the halfway point between those two indents on the stick... The oil looked like good clean oil!

What else is wrong or needs to be checked?

BTW, I know I mentioned his name a lot in this post, but BOATADDICT has been a HUGE help and deserves kudos for helping a fellow GH forum member! I can't say enough good stuff about this man! He brings my ski back to his house, puts tons of wrenching time in the machine, gives me free beer and nachos and ....I'm speechless!

So thanks again Rob! You rock!

+1
    Rpms dont sound to bad. What rpms where you seeing before? And was that speed, speedo, or gps?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Rpms dont sound to bad. What rpms where you seeing before? And was that speed, speedo, or gps?
    That was the speedo. None of us unfortunately had a GPS on us. Before the incident, I was seeing approximately 8200rpm +/- I didn't really ride it much out of fear of destroying the engine.

Everthing louder than everything else! sHALlow's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest.runner View Post
    That was the speedo. None of us unfortunately had a GPS on us. Before the incident, I was seeing approximately 8200rpm +/- I didn't really ride it much out of fear of destroying the engine.
    any chance you dredged anything in the pump while dragging it on the bottom?

+1
    Check for boost leaks. Or have him check the SC slip

+1
    Speedo could be off. Do like the others have said, recheck all SC hoses, and the SC getting wet might have affected slip.

In Dogs We Trust All Others Get Searched
    From East Texas-transplanted in Shreveport,Bossier City
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest.runner View Post
    BTW, I know I mentioned his name a lot in this post, but BOATADDICT has been a HUGE help and deserves kudos for helping a fellow GH forum member! I can't say enough good stuff about this man! He brings my ski back to his house, puts tons of wrenching time in the machine, gives me free beer and nachos and ....I'm speechless!

So thanks again Rob! You rock!
    +1 for decent people still left in the world.

Did you take your intake manifold off? I know yours is slightly different then mine (No integrated IC). If you read my post below, I thought of skipping this step but when I got the manifold off there was at least a cup of water in it.

This water just sit there and re enters your engine a little bit at a time.

-Ryan

+1
    If your RPMs are good (which they seem to be) you probably have a pump issue. Check it out.

Does the ski SEEM slower or is the speedo your only indication that something is different? You could have gotten debris in the speedo wheel when it sunk, too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HardmanGT View Post
    If your RPMs are good (which they seem to be) you probably have a pump issue. Check it out.

Does the ski SEEM slower or is the speedo your only indication that something is different? You could have gotten debris in the speedo wheel when it sunk, too.
    It does seem a bit sluggish, but I could just be paranoid... I've been quite cautious when riding it again. Maybe too cautious. I never thought to check the wheel. I'll do this tonight. I need to borrow someone's GPS just to be sure. I don't like the speedo!

What do I need to look for to confirm if it's the pump?

Quote Originally Posted by rdm190 View Post
    Did you take your intake manifold off? I know yours is slightly different then mine (No integrated IC). If you read my post below, I thought of skipping this step but when I got the manifold off there was at least a cup of water in it.

This water just sit there and re enters your engine a little bit at a time.

-Ryan
    Hi Ryan, yes I saw your thread and cringed at Suck my Wake's post! I wouldn't have the slighest idea how to strip a motor down to inspect the rod! Even if I did manage to strip it down, I wouldn't know what I was really looking for! I've been following your thread with great interest and glad to hear that your's is running again!

I know BOATADDICT inspected the intake manifold, but I can't remember if he found much in there. I don't think he took it off. I'm sure he'll chime in if I have this wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Speedo could be off. Do like the others have said, recheck all SC hoses, and the SC getting wet might have affected slip.
    The hoses were taken off and put back on. Pretty sure we checked them a few times. If the slip is affected, how do I confirm this? It does seem like it's acting a bit sluggish, but is there a way to confirm it's affected?

I'm quite green with engines and honestly sad to say, this has been a great learning experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Check for boost leaks. Or have him check the SC slip
    I've never done this before, but another thing I'm looking forward to learning! I'll definately check these!

Quote Originally Posted by sHALlow View Post
    any chance you dredged anything in the pump while dragging it on the bottom?
    I'll have to check this out, but was sitting on large boulders, so I'm guessing not.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information