07-13-2011, 06:00 AM #1
- Join Date
- Jul 2010
suggestions for mod compatibility
was hoping to get some expert feedback on some mods for my ski...it's a 2008 rxp-x
been searching and reading alot on mods and am confused a bit with what works with what, what works and what doesn't, etc....
Here's what i'd like to do for mods. I am asking specific questions on each mod. Please let me know what you think and add anything else that makes sense.
1. 4" intake- are they pretty much all the same as far as performance/ install? do i want to stay away from a rear intake if i'm surf riding?
2. removal of flame arrestor in intake. Has there been any downsides to this mod?
3. replace pressurized rubber tubing with metal (alum/ss) tubing. Will i have to relocate the IC?
4. would like to go to a rear exit exhaust with less restrictions and better sound. what do i need? gut the stock water box? remove resinator? what parts do i need?
5. want to remove OPAS and add the hull extension block offs. (Race engineering?)
6. want to replace carbon seal and add speed freaks bellow band. What else needs to be replaced when doing this?
7. R&D intake grate- regular one or the closed course one?
8. free mods- ride plate holes and bucket trimmed
i ride alot in the surf and want to increase the holeshot and acceleration, want to keep the handling the same or better. Not too concerned about top speed but i'm thinking it should increase a little. Motor internals to remain intact.
i'd really appreciate feedback and suggestions as to specific parts, compatability and bang for the buck. TIA
07-15-2011, 01:08 AM #2
1) I used a Fizzle 4" intake. This is a definite plus! Easy to install, everything you need is there. The most time consuming part is removing all of the old stuff. Some run with no screen (filter), I use the stainless one that came with it. I worry more about sucking something through my SC than I do about the fractional increase in flow. I stayed away from the rear air because I did not want to worry about ingesting water on Lake Erie's waves.
2) I have not done this..yet. I have seen where people claim 1lb increase of boost from this but haven't gotten around to it yet. (too lazy to pull the intake manifold I guess)
3) I did not relocate my IC, just couldn't see the $400+ price tag. You could buy the stainless tubing and some silicone elbows to replace the rubber hoses and leave it in the stock location I suppose. The original rubber hoses do bulge quite a bit when you hit the throttle, so this is on my "to do" list.
4) I bought a TDR waterbox with 3" pipe. It is LOUD, in a bad ass kind of way. Either this or the RIVA are nice units. You will get a lot of attention but not much performance gain with the through hull. You don't have to remove the resonator, I did to clean up the engine compartment. The IC can stay in the stock location and the SC can be removed without having to detatch the waterbox and move it back for clearance like the stock unit requires.
5) I really like my RE block offs! I have read that they are no longer being manufactured though. Watch the classifieds? I don't believe the RIVA units go clear to the back of the hull like the RE units.
6) I have not done this. I don't have any cavitation on launch and am not ready for a carbon ring replacement yet. I will probably put one on at that point. Most folks on here seem to really like them.
7) I would think for the surf you would want the closed course. I use a WORX grate and am very happy with it. Supposedly it costs me some top end but like you, that is really not my goal due to the rough water I ride in.
8 Done all of these. I don't know how much they actually gain for you but for free, why not?
You did not mention a new impeller. I am running a 15-22R SOLAS am am very pleased. Tomorrow I am sending my spare out to SpeedFreaks for a set back modification. It is supposed to help with the hole shot. I'll post the results after I try it out.
Good luck with your project, I am sure you will get advice from more experienced folks on here. I have received a lot of pointers through my ongoing project!
07-15-2011, 05:46 AM #3
- Join Date
- Jul 2010
thanks for your reply!
your comments seem to fall in line with my thinking. I was hoping to select an impeller based on the mods i do to tweak in the final RPM's. I will also check the classified for a set of used RE blocks offs (anyone?)
i guess my biggest question right now is for the exaust:
if i used the Fizzle IC reloction kit, will anybody's rear exaust kit fit? I think i'm leaning towards removing the resonater and installing a rear exit exhaust. Some of the kits show just a "j" pipe, while others have 2 tubes. Can someone shed some light?
Many thanks in advance!!!!!
07-15-2011, 10:23 AM #4
I am fairly certain that either the TDR or the RIVA can be used without relocating the IC. The kit I believe you are talking about with the two hoses utilizes the stock exhaust location. I have heard and experienced on my '03GTXSC the "drone" at around 3000rpm that these free flows produce. It is annoying as hell but I won't lie, the TDR box is loud enough to be a bother also. It does put the sound behind you though. With the free flows it is like the whole ski becomes a drum head and rattles your fillings. Another consideration is that the TDR is usually a longer wait due to being built in a much smaller shop than RIVA. I waited about 5 weeks while Jerry probably has the RIVA in stock. I can't testify to how the RIVA sounds but the TDR with the 3" exhaust will have heads turning as soon as you light that thing up!
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By audis4boss in forum Sea Doo Open DiscussionReplies: 12Last Post: 12-19-2012, 07:34 AM
By matt160580 in forum Polaris Open DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 09-08-2010, 07:15 AM
By MONSTERMATT in forum 4-Tec PerformanceReplies: 5Last Post: 07-18-2010, 01:21 PM
By MONSTERMATT in forum 4-Tec PerformanceReplies: 14Last Post: 07-01-2010, 01:03 PM
By RMcElarney in forum 4-Tec PerformanceReplies: 5Last Post: 06-30-2010, 04:22 PM