Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Things to do?

Things to do?

Ok, I know to check out the fuel system. What are some other things that may be helpful to do with my newly aquired sl650's? what to replace, what upgrades,should I remove the thermostat,things of that nature? Please feel free to advise anything you can think of I will also be pre mixing, is 40:1 good?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hottelssss View Post
    Ok, I know to check out the fuel system. What are some other things that may be helpful to do with my newly aquired sl650's? what to replace, what upgrades,should I remove the thermostat,things of that nature? Please feel free to advise anything you can think of I will also be pre mixing, is 40:1 good?
    A good start would be a compression test, that will let you know what condition the engine is in.

After that: spark plugs, carb rebuild, new fuel lines, fuel filter, fresh gas, inspect impeller and pump

+1
    then cut back your plug wires a 1/4" and screw them back in,check the fuel cap for cracks on the tank,make sure the gasket is under the fuel cap on the hull gas inlet, change the needle bearing fitting to a zerk fitting on the thru hull bearing, check the water seperator for a cracked ringcap,empty the water in it, clean the siphon pick-up tubes, replace the lines in the tank with the weighted screens on them if so equipped, grease the coupler, thru hull bearing,pop off the pump and see if the bearings ride smooth, check the blades on the stator for chip,chunk,parts missing, wall clearence on prop to wear ring.. check the intake grate for the screw being tight, same for the ride plate, check that the drain plug doesn't spin when tightened, maybe install an inlet shut off valve on the inlet hose,check the screen inside the exit nozzle that its in fact there and clean, check the tighness on all bolts, check the torque on the base nuts on the jugs, move the engine back n forth and see if the mounts are loose, silicon spray the inside of the steering cable and throttle cables, install new plugs. 40/1 is ok.. then tells us whats going on...... good luck..

you will need about 20-21 feet of fuel line. 3 carb kits,2 fuel filters,oil filter,tie wraps, carb base gaskets if there broken.

you could always check the timing,pop-off pressure,compression test, vaccumn test on the engine also..

Thanks alot guys, very thorough! Most of this I've done Jet pump bearings are in the mail. If you think of anything else please post up thanks again!

Should I go with the iridium plugs?

+1
    No. stay with NGK's.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hottelssss View Post
    Should I go with the iridium plugs?
    1992-1995 SL650 take NGK BPR7ES plugs

Thanks, taking the Tigershark and 1 of the 650's out today for the first time!!!

+1
    Tie it to the dock and let it run and you can watch it with the seat off making sure its not taking on water or spraying water from the motor. also feel the jugs as it warms up,they should be warm not boiling hot.. if you see steam at all anytime..you have a problem. make sures shes a smokin that 2-stroke oil out the back!. a nice cloud would be telling you its all good.lol

then maybe ride with the seat off and watch whats going on.. nothing hopefully.. good luck! hope all is well..

then later, check your piston wash with a small flashlight down the bores and check the wash on the piston tops. you should see spots of clean areas around the piston. all black is way too lean. stop riding if they become all black on top.youll blow it up..

youll need to open the high speed adjusters more if thier black. unless someone changed the jets or your carbs are not original then that adds to the mystery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information