Burnt and Missing Reeds and Rust colored Sludge

I have a project 2000 XL limited that I am currently working on. I sent the carbs to Osidebill for rebuild. Now that they are off I took a look at the reeds and I have a couple of missing petals and some of the petals look burnt. This ski is new to me, I was told that it would only do like 5 miles per hour on the water, it has been sitting for the last 5 years.
    The other two cylinders look clean and bright (no rust or sludge). The first two counterweights have oil on them as I turn it over by hand, but the third seems to be pretty dry and has rusty colored debris in the bottom and the cinlinder wall has a rusty colored sludge, but looks smooth. I got good compression on all cylinders. Is there anything I need to do besides replace the reeds and maybe try to suck out the rust stuff. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1200xl 001.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	245475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1200xl 008.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	245476  

Saving the Manuals every day.. TheBlueMartin's Avatar
    +1
    I take it you have the the engine out of the boat? If so, it might be best if you split open the case and have the crankshaft checked. The picture doesnt look that bad, but whatever is laying in the case below that could change things.

Yes, I have the engine out of the ski. If I take the bottom off the engine can I rebolt it back without buying new gaskets etc.? I am good at wrench turning and I have a service manual, just new to engine repair. Thanks for helping a noob.

+1
    there istn a gasket between the cases. you have to clean the mating surfaces and use something like anibolic silicone to reseal the cases. check that crank good just a little rust on your bearings could ruin your whole motor. a slung rod does a lot of damage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueMartin View Post
    I take it you have the the engine out of the boat? If so, it might be best if you split open the case and have the crankshaft checked. The picture doesnt look that bad, but whatever is laying in the case below that could change things.
    This is a conservative approach and would be what I would do if it were a 2nd boat and I were letting someone else like friends and family ride it. You do not want to put them in a bad way.

Here's another approach:

How much money do you have tied up in it already, and what is it worth running as if it were brand new or better than new? What would would it cost for a rebuilt crank, new pistons rings, gaskets etc, an extra $1000-1200? Add that to the initial cost of the boat. Keep in mind that turn around for a rebuilt crank is weeks which means that this boat will be out for most of the season in a BEST CASE scenario.

On the other hand, if you were to clean up the crank and case with WD40, then blow it out with a compressor, get some stocker reeds (there's plenty of good used ones out there) and put it back together, then the only real money you are going to be out is the 300+ bucks you shelled out for rebuilt carbs.

Ride it till the end of the season, and decide if you want to take it to a higher level of power and rebuild it then as a winter project.

If you by chance did trash the crank or lost a piston........ well...... wasn't the other option to rebuild it any way?

There is no right or wrong here, just choices. If it were me and just me, then I would ride it till I broke it, then fix it.

Enough on strategy.... If you decide to split the cases, you will have to replace the front and rear seals. You can reuse the head gasket a few times, but you SHOULD replace the base gaskets between the jugs and case.

There are little chunks of rust laying in the bottom. Can I spray it out with WD40 and suck and blow the debris through the hole where the reed goes. If this is acceptable it is my first choice, I don't have the money to rebuild this motor.

+1
    I'd pull the head and remove the jug to take a good look, then blow it out. Your head gasket is reuseable, and the shape on the skirt on the cylinder make it real easy for you to slide the used rings and piston back into the cylinder. The only money that you will be out is the price of a base gasket which are cheap.

There is no real money involved, just time.

+1
    Yes you can half do this thing and try to get by with i hope i can ride it an hour or so. But speaking from experience i took a chance on a crank on my daughters 1300R and now own a set of cases with a hole in the side of them. ended up using a set on 1200R cases just had to plug the pulser holes now got to find a set to replace them so i can finish up the 1200 to sell,

Its just not worth it a little extra work and every thing is clean and you know what you got.

and you can use just about every gasket on that motor even the crank seals as long as they are not damaged.

+1
    pay now are pay more later

Thanks for the advice evryone, it looks like I am going to take it apart.

Thread Information