ZXI 900 not running on all cylinders

I have a 95' zxi 900 that's running real weak, no low end power, but willrun full throttle just not as fast as it should. I believe the #2 cylinderisn't firing. I took the seat off and was riding around slowly and you couldremove the #2 spark plug and no change in engine rpm, but if I would remove #1or #3 it would almost die. I have spark, and I have around 110psi in allcylinders, and also had the carbs cleaned last season but for some reason I don'tthink fuel is getting to the #2 cylinder. I know the carb setup is not yourtypical run a fuel line into each carb and done. Does anyone know more about howthe fuel flows through these carbs? Or have any idea what else it could be?

Thanks

+1
    Welcome aboard, WANGER!

What did the spark plug for that cylinder look like?

Not sure what you're asking about how the fuel flows through the carbs.

You can try running it with the seat off and the flame arrestor off, but you'll have to buy some long bolts to hold the carbs on, since the carb mounting screws go through the flame arrestor.

Sure has the sounds of what happened to me 2 winters ago when I took my 3 cylinder, 3 carb 2000 900STS out for a ride. I gunned it and it died suddenly. Then, 30 seconds later, I could start it again and go no faster than 35 without it dying on me. I tore it down and the middle of the 3 stopped taking oil and burned up on me. If you have the ability to pull the head, you may consider this after a fresh carb clean. I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase and only consider myself an entry level mechanic (1 engine swap and rebuild under my belt only) so take it for what it is worth. My 2 cents.

If you are not doing pre-mix fuel, then the oil should be injected through the clear tubes on the underside of that triple carb. It gets mixed inside the carb with the fuel. Something must have gotten plugged up in my middle carb where the oil could not be delivered and SIZZLE! $1200 later with the help of this site, youtube and plenty of other calls in for tech support and I have a new lease on life. If you have not done anything with carbs before, they are very very easy to overhaul yourself. I didn't even know what a carb was when I pulled mine out. On the video I took of the overhaul, I actually say, "well, I guess this is the carb" ha! Very easy with a bit of due diligence on the front end. I just recommend taking video of any tear down so that you can refer to it later for the re-assemble. Good luck to ya!

Steve 45,

The spark plug looked like it was cover in wet oil.

What I was asking about the carbs is that the #1 and #3 carbs are different than the #2 carb. It looks like the #1 and #3 carbs have lines that come from the fuel tank and then somehow they feed the #2 carb. It's not just 3 of the same carbs with 3 fuel lines coming to it from the tank.

+1
    Well, if it's covered in oil, it won't fire.

Sounds like #1 & #3 have fuel pumps. I thought only #3 had a pump, but it's been a long time since I looked at one. I looked at the online parts book and it really didn't say anything about it.

If it's covered in oil, then Steve is right, it isn't sparking. Replace the plug and try again.

it's like the oil pump is pumping oil into the #2 cylinder, but the fuel isn't getting there.
    I found about the same information you did on the whole setup, not much of anything.

add a couple cans of seafoam from autoparts to as little fuel as possible and ride to see if clears up, are you sure its sparking at idle ?

i threw the new plugs in and i have = spark on all cylinders, i will try the seafoam and see if it works any better. Any chance its the diaphrams in the pumps? like there pumping enough fuel for the #1 and #3 cylinders, but there isn't enought fuel getting threw to the #2 cylinder? is that possible?

+1
    As far as the hoses to the carbs, I think what you're looking at is the inlet to the fuel pump goes to the rear carb. The return line (excess fuel) is taken from the front carb an is returned to the tank. The hoses should be labelled 'Return' and 'Fuel'.

Yes, you could have a ruptured diaphragm, or a plugged internal filter. Won't hurt to take a look.

Thread Information