1200 non PV Will Not Start

I just got done rebuilding the 2 motors in my 1999 LS2000. One of them started right up and the other will not start. I poured some gas in the carbs and the rear cylinder will pop, but the center and front do not do anything. I also tried starting fluid. When I pull the plugs they seem dry. I poured gas in several times and directly into the plug holes. I actually thought that I flooded it.

Any idea what the most likely problem might be. I am at a loss. I was told that the motor was running right before I tore it down.

+1
    Check for spark yet? It might have a bad stator, CDI, or maybe you left something unplugged.

+1
    Assumeing you have no electrical problems....

How did your reeds look when you took it down? My 65U engine creased the little plastic check valves (the ones that are about the size of a dime), and this is a common problem in them. Pull the flame arrestor and check to see if fuel is actually being delivered through the atomizers when you crank the engine. If not, you may have to pull the carbs.

And respectfully, starting fluid is hard on 2 strokes because it has a tendency to wash the oil off the cylinder walls.... you are left with no protection. Throwing in a little WD40 or even premix gas as starting fuel would be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    Assumeing you have no electrical problems....

How did your reeds look when you took it down? My 65U engine creased the little plastic check valves (the ones that are about the size of a dime), and this is a common problem in them. Pull the flame arrestor and check to see if fuel is actually being delivered through the atomizers when you crank the engine. If not, you may have to pull the carbs.

And respectfully, starting fluid is hard on 2 strokes because it has a tendency to wash the oil off the cylinder walls.... you are left with no protection. Throwing in a little WD40 or even premix gas as starting fuel would be much better.
    Could you tell me what check valves you are talking about. The only ones I know about are on the oil lines.

I actually tried some fuel directly into the Spark Plug holes.

It looks like there is very little spark. All 3 cylinders only sparks once in a while while trying to start. Any idea what the most likely problem might be? Is there any way to diagnose this?

+1
    PM sent

I got it running. The CDI Module was bad. Luckily I picked up a part Ski yesterday that had a good one. I have no idea why it failed. The motor was running when I tore it down.

Thread Information