96 SL900 no spark

alright guys, this is my first time posting here. i have a 1996 Polaris SL900. It is my first jetski and it has basically been a wreck since the start. First of all, i bought it and first time i took it out it sucked in water and smashed all the pistons. This happened becasue it wasnt winterized right and cracked the exhaust manifold. So after about $900 in parts, got it to atleast run and not suck in any water. Then it ran very weak. We got about 1 1/2 hours on it. Then all of a sudden we got no spark. So what i have tried so far is 2 different brand new batteries. Stator/CDI update kit, and Cut fresh ends on the spark plug wires. So, does anyone have any idea of anything else that could have went bad? Its driving me nuts that i have 1600 in parts and 1200 into the jetski and it still wont run. The jetski supposedly only has 29 original hours on it. Im really close to just parting it out. So any help would be very much appreciated!!!!

Banned User
    +1
    If you have the updated ignition, make sure everything is connected correctly. Also check the stop switch and make sure it is working properly. I had the electric box open on mine and when I re assembled it, I pinched thte stop switch wire and it wouldn't fire. I would recheck everything. With the new kit you should have no problems with spark.

im going to be checking the kill switch either tonight or tomorow. is there any chance the coil could be bad or something? thanks for the quick reply. i noticed your from milwaukee too? im from green bay!

Banned User
    +1
    Its possible the coil could be bad, but those usually dont fail

Alright. So i should definitely check the kill switch first. Then all the wires. Is it possible that its not timed right? I noticed the flywheel is adjustable. But i would think there would still at least be some spark.

well, i tested the kill switch, and even tried another one and didnt get any spark yet. I checked all the connections, and redid them all. Nothing. I noticed there is a temp. sensor....any chance that could be bad? is there any other sensors that could be bad?

Banned User
    +1
    All the temp sensor does is send a signal to the MFD and to the CDI to limit RPM. Check all of your grounds and double check your connections to the CDI box. I believe you can also ohm test the coil to see if its bad.

well....i tested the coil the way it says in the manual....it says to test 3 different wires to the black/ white wire. they are supposed to ohm at .35 ohms. my first 2 wires were at .4 ohms and the third one was at 13.58 Milliohms (i think that is what it is). So im pretty sure its my coil is bad.

Now i need to be able to find one seeing that Polaris for some reason discontinued it?
    the part number it says on it is..... 105 553.03 and under the number it says "Ignition - Coil Box"

Thread Information