water in oil.. what could cause this

my msx150 had water in the oil tank.. my question is what can cause this.. what are the entry points from water to get into the oil... i know it has a closed cooling system, and my coolant level is fine.. can water get into my oil tank from the turbo is my real question.. i bought another oil tank and will be installing it and installing me oil this weekend.. but dont want to have to pull the engine out just to check the turbo and it be fine.. please help this is driving me crazy!! does the closed cooling system also cool the turbo? does the fresh water outside only cool the oil tank?

+1
    You need to check the closed loop system pressure. Pull the smaller top hose from the coolant resevoir tank, and plug it with a bolt/clamp. Then pressurize the system with a pump to 15 psi. Wait a few minutes and see if the pressure drops. If it does, there is a leak somewhere withing the closed cooling system.

It had milky oil so my coolant is good and the compression test was good... Would the turbo cause milky oil? Or is that cooled down by separate cooling system? Like is the oil tank on it's own cooling system? From outside water?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetskisosa View Post
    It had milky oil so my coolant is good and the compression test was good... Would the turbo cause milky oil? Or is that cooled down by separate cooling system? Like is the oil tank on it's own cooling system? From outside water?
    Yes the oil tank uses fresh water. It is seperated by an o-ring in the tank. The oil tanks are known for causing water/oil to mix.

HOWEVER, the cloosed cooling system can also cause problems. There could be a leaking turbo housing causing a coolant leak, or there could be a blown water pump seal. That's why you need to pressurize the coolant system to check for leaks (even if the coolant level looks OK)

cool thanks slothman.. i'll have to try that.. so when i pressure test the colling system i do the above method you described, but once i pinch that line you say, where do i put my pressure line? in the spot i removed the line that was attached to the collant tank? so a leaking turbo housing would cause water in my oil? or that would just cause low collant? also is the water pump easily accessible? sorry this is my first ski and first polaris.. i've had it two weeks and still have not riden it.. thanks again

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetskisosa View Post
    cool thanks slothman.. i'll have to try that.. so when i pressure test the colling system i do the above method you described, but once i pinch that line you say, where do i put my pressure line? in the spot i removed the line that was attached to the collant tank? so a leaking turbo housing would cause water in my oil? or that would just cause low collant? also is the water pump easily accessible? sorry this is my first ski and first polaris.. i've had it two weeks and still have not riden it.. thanks again
    Once you remove that small line and close it off, you attach your pressureized line to that same spot (to the top nipple of the coolant tank). A leaking turbo housing would also cause water in the oil, because it is apart of the closed system. Your coolant level would be low, but that won't matter if the previous owner just refilled the coolant level.
    Pressurize the system and make sure it doesn't loose any air (but don't pressurize more than 15 pounds, or you will cause a leak)

Thread Information