Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Black and gold GPR saying hello (ps , looking for a bit of holeshot)

Hey guys . This would be one of my first posts on this forum .
    Been a long time reader on the forums and until recently owner of a stock gp1300r .
    That`s changed.
    Now the mods list reads :

Solas Dynafly 14/20
    Riva trim tabs
    Anti-cavitation cone
    Riva D-plate
    Riva Power filter
    R&D steering nozzle
    Riva EFI
    PPK (pump plug kit ? )
    R&D intake grate
    R&D ride plate with FF mod .

Efi is at 5516 .
    Since I like the feel of a crisp and jumpy 2-stroke I`ve always contemplated modding the ski .
    Now that those first mods are out of the way I`m looking for more !
    Getting a head skimmed and squish reworked at the moment so that would be the first of the next mods.
    I could use some pointers on what to do so that I can have a reliable and fast ski.
    Thinking about : ignition advance keyway , jetworks (or is it jetworx) valve for drying out the waterbox , plugging the holes and sealing all the crevaces on the bottom of the ski and maybe Rossnemo`s tb service and one range colder spark plugs (using stock now) .
    Already adding 1-2 % extra oil to the fuel tank (besides the oem oil pump) .
    Also I think it would be worth to mention that I`m looking for "holeshot" as you call it and torque in the mid-range as I find 110-120 km/h to be more than enough speed on water .

Thanks !

You don't really have any mods that facilitate the use of an EFI controller.

If you start advancing the timing, or raise your compression, the EFI controller will come in handy.

And you're already on the right track... For increased holeshot, have your OEM head milled. If you want to continue to use pure pump gas, mill the head so you have around 145psi across the board. Anything more than that starts requiring race fuel or mixed race fuel (I run 1.5 gallons of 110 octane leaded Sunoco and 3.5 gallons of 91 octane pump in my 1300r).

Another great set of holeshot mods... Leo's Holeshot Kit and the Jetworks mod. Just installing those will make a pretty big difference. Although cutting your head will add power across then entire powerband.

And an 05+ HO pump with a Skat impeller would do nice things for your holeshot.

+1
    Well, yeah right now the fuel controller isn`t exactly justified. I did buy it knowing that I`ll continue modding the ski and will eventually need it.
    An oem cylinder head has been milled and I should get it next week . I`ve spoken to WFO about a 4 degree timing advance keyway and I should be getting that pretty soon as well.

I`m looking into the Leo holeshot kit which I understand is a way of reducing drag while the ski is not planning (out of the water) . I doubt buying the kit would be cost effective though as shipping the two glass fibre pieces half way round the world to Romania would cost as much as the actual parts . That means I`ll have to get my hands dirty lol )

The Jetworks mod sounds good and the reviews are great , been reading about the different ways of fitting the valve but I would like to pay less than 160-170 $ for the kit (which is what Islandracing is charging). I already have an aluminium pump strainer block which I can drill and thread so that leaves me needing the actual jetwoks valve, the through hull fitting and maybe 90 degree fittings. It would be worth mentioning I already pulled the trigger on a replacement SS gasket for drying out the last part of the exhaust (in place of the rubber part)

I believe I already have the 05+ HO pump as my ski is 2006 .

Could anybody please shed some light on the freeflow exhaust ? It replaces the last part of the exhaust system which is a plastic resonator. It frees up air flow and makes the exhaust noisier in the process. What I don`t understand is why some people recommend it and some say it`s not worth it. It messes up the resonating frequency of the exhaust making it "out of tune" for high rpm ?
    I doubt the blue silicone hose alone is worth 100+ $ . I`m looking into sourcing some 100mm diameter stainless pipe that I can use in place of the oem sound suppressor .

Fitting br8eix plugs today .

Flame suit on .
    I`m thinking about nitrous. I`ve been using the gas on cars and bikes with success . Never had a mishap and things have always played out the way I wanted them.
    The kit wfo has used looks very good. Thinking about using the same injection point , the stock balancer plate. To that extent could anyone tell me what thickness it is ?
    More so , as I don`t have classified privileges. Could I please ask a member or mod to place a WTB add in the yamaha classifieds for a balancer plate ?
    Last edited by duudu; 07-25-2011 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling

+1
    One more quick question :
    Cylinder head studs. Read a post or two about oem cylinder head fasteners being too short to clamp down the heads if these are machined to raise compression. Do I need to use bolts (in place of studs) or just use a washer under the nut ?

+1
    I just put the new heads on the ski , diy freeflow exhaust and did the jetworks modification and the ski is a completely different animal. A lot more fun to ride .
    Could somebody please tell me what I can do to prevent it from going upwards when leaving from standstill ? I put the trim to maximum down but the ski still jumps out of the water when I shoot from standstill. Pretty cool for jumping waves though.

+1
    As far as the ski leaping out of the water when leaving from a stand still, you need to throw all your weight forward (your chin should almost be touching the front storage lid), when you hammer down on the throttle. Alot of people have too much weight, too far back when they leave. Keep your weight forward until you are on plane then slide your weight back and trim up.

I want to say hello, my name is Bill and this look's like a great site you have here. My wife Lisa and I just got 2 wr500's so I was looking for a forum and I found this one to be the best. I will read somemore and pop in once in awhile. If anyone ever need's a schematic or torque spec's let me know I have all the oem manual's on cd rom. Talk 2 u later, Bill, my email is [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by rmw View Post
    I want to say hello, my name is Bill and this look's like a great site you have here. My wife Lisa and I just got 2 wr500's so I was looking for a forum and I found this one to be the best. I will read somemore and pop in once in awhile. If anyone ever need's a schematic or torque spec's let me know I have all the oem manual's on cd rom. Talk 2 u later, Bill, my email is [email protected]
    Free? I like free and have found older ski manuals but not worth buying something that has photos of a crazy dude for like 7 bucks. Haha

with your intake grate did you do the pump seal kit and the tunnel reinforcement? just bought one and want to know if it is a necessity

+1
    With the intake pump I did the pump plug kit but I did not seal it with epoxy (yet) and I did not do the pump reinforcement (yet) .
    Doing some mods as we speak and will post them up .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information