Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 gpr lags on takeoff

Does anyone else have a problem with lag at WOT takeoff?? when im at idle speed and open throttle it feels like it wants to stall and I have to feather the throttle to get it going. I just had the carbs redone and the mechanic said this was common in these skis. Does everyone agree? and if so< is there a way I can fix this?

+1
    Need more info. What was done to the carb?

+1
    There is a similar problem caused from water building up in the water box at idle. When you throttle wide open the exhaust has to blow the water out in order to accelerate. This can seem like a carb problem but once the water box is clear it does fine until the ski sits at idle for a short period of time.

is that when I need to install the jetworks kit, to clear the water box or is there an alternative solution with out having to buy the mod??

The carbs were completely taken apart cleaned and the diaphrams replaced.

also it never seems to stay warmed up. if i let it sit for more than 5 minutes, I have to choke and give full throttle to start it again and that doesnt seem normal to me. I appreciate any suggestions that might be causing this.

+1
    Hmmmm forgot about the water box mod... the jetwork mod just keep your waterbox dry until a certain rpm had been reach how ever many shim you add in, then the ball open and let water into the waterbox. I have mine set to about 3000 to 3500 rpm... You might want to try the jet work mod see if it help. but other then that look at your fuel accelerator pump see if it is stilling working... when you give it throttle it should squirt a little bit of fuel into the carb... Also try richening up your low speed a tad bit..

How do i richen up my low speed? not sure I understand

+1
    One thing to try is after you ride and it sits for a few minutes say 5 or 10 loosen the gas cap if there is pressure its OK if not check the gas cap seal and the tank relief valve located on top of the tank were the fuel lines go into the tank. if there is tank pressure it should crank without having to choke it every time it sits 5 minutes. the factory settings should be ok on a stock ski. and they have plugs over them if the plugs are gone they probably have been adjusted and may need to be fine tuned.

you know that could really help my problem. when I remove my gas cap the rubber seal is torn, I had no idea this would cause that problem. Thank you so much, will I need a new gas cap or can mine be repaired?

+1
    If its just the seal you can just replace the seal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information