New 717 motor few questions.

I had a 1998 gts given to me in great shape I pulled the core out and have another rebuilt one on the way and was wondering if I need to align the motor and jet pump and what else do I need to do while I ha e everything tore down should I replace all lines rebuild the carbs this is my first pwc and any help will be greatly appreciated.

+1
    This is what I would do other opinions may differ.

- Pull the fuel tank out and make sure it's nice and clean with no goo stuck to the inside, clean the fuel pickup screen at the same time.
    - Replace all of the fuel lines.
    - Clean / rebuild the carb.
    - Clean the fuel strainer under the front hood.
    - Check the fuel selector switch to make sure it's not plugged or gummed up.
    - Replace the oil filter on the small oil line from the tank to the oil pump.
    - Change the jet pump oil and check the impeller and wear ring.
    - Align the motor and pump.
    - Check the big electrical wires for corrosion.
    - Trim the spark plug leads 1/8" and reinstall boots.

Do all this and preventative maintenance and you should have a reliable ski for many years.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for where is the best place to get the alignment tool and after alignment is there any gaskets or such that I will need to replace after aligning shaft.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock42 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for where is the best place to get the alignment tool and after alignment is there any gaskets or such that I will need to replace after aligning shaft.
    Not sure where you can get the alignment tool it's expensive for a one off use. Either take it to the dealer or see if there is an independent watercraft shop that will do it for you.

No gaskets to replace, the motor mounting plate has some play in it for adjustment there might have been some thin aluminum shims installed to help align everything.

Yeah There are a few independent shops around. What about torquing the pto I've read it will torque itself after riding. And how hard is it to t the rotary valve cover in time this is my first pwc and am still learning and all the help is greatly appreciated.

Thread Information