94 Waverunner 3 runs good on trailer but won't pull in water and is smothered

I am considering buying a 94 Waverunner 3, It runs good when on trailer. But, when you put it in the water it doesn't pull and acts like it is smothered. If it is something that can be fixed easily I will make the deal, if it sounds like a major problem I don't want to throw money away. I can buy the ski for $600. I am new to jet skis and don't want to waste my money. Any help you can offwer would be greatly appreciated. I had one guy tell me that the exhaust was plugged, another said something about a rubber collar, both work at the same shop. I don't know whether to trust either one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TNRiverRat View Post
    I am considering buying a 94 Waverunner 3, It runs good when on trailer. But, when you put it in the water it doesn't pull and acts like it is smothered. If it is something that can be fixed easily I will make the deal, if it sounds like a major problem I don't want to throw money away. I can buy the ski for $600. I am new to jet skis and don't want to waste my money. Any help you can offwer would be greatly appreciated. I had one guy tell me that the exhaust was plugged, another said something about a rubber collar, both work at the same shop. I don't know whether to trust either one.
    Compression might be bad. Check the compression; if you see at least 110 psi in each cylinder, and they are within 5% of eachother, you know the engine is good.

Worse case scenario would be a ruined engine...best case would be spark plugs

Just realize that older skis can be alot of work....don't buy one if you don't have the extra cash to fix them when they break

Thread Information