Just bought MSX 150 - advice on high idle needed

I just picked up an 04 MSX 150. Has about 50 hours on it. I just fired it up and engine revs pretty high. Have not started it in the water as I am going to go through the checklists that I found here. Looks like its got too much oil in it. Hope I don't have to pull the intercooler but I knew that was a possibility when I bought it. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions on the revving issue. Thanks in advance for any advice.

They will rev high when not under a load in the water. I don't recall the number but around 3k seems about right.

Do you get a check engine light after the 10 blinks?

+1
    NEVER start it in forward. You have to start it up in reverse. Or it will rev to the moon.

Thanks, not sure on the check engine light. Seems it did come on once but was off after another startup cycle. I'm going to service it and then splash it for a water test. I'll report back. Thank you for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Ispendtoomuchontoys View Post
    Thanks, not sure on the check engine light. Seems it did come on once but was off after another startup cycle. I'm going to service it and then splash it for a water test. I'll report back. Thank you for the info.
    Make sure to read through the many threads here in oil level...throw common sense out the window ad the stick is wrong.

Bottom line, when empty add shy if three quarts snd then start checking and adding in very small increments. Stop when oil hits the bottom of the stick.

If you take your oil to the full or even approach full...you will be spending allot more time here fixing about half a dozen other issues.

Yep, I've read a lot here, what a great resource. Changed the oil and added just to touch the dipstick cold. Splashed it and idles at proper RPM...but now I get an intermittent surging at idle, maybe 200 rpm. I thought I might have a vacumm leak because I also have what I believe to be poor acceleration that stops at about 6,500 rpm....then after a few seconds it will accerate to 7,500 plus. It's weird though, if I shut the machine down and restart it will idle properly until I run it and then it will surge and why it is limiting itself to 6,500 for a few seconds.... well maybe someone has an idea. Also, I have an open nipple on the solenoid going to the wastegate Should something be attached here?

BTW, the red light flashes 10 times and check engine message appears then all go out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ispendtoomuchontoys View Post
    BTW, the red light flashes 10 times and check engine message appears then all go out.
    That is perfectly normal. The system is just checking itself.

Neither one of my MSX's have the attachment with the open nipple on them. Wondering if it is aftermarket or a better replacement for a broken part. Interested to see how everyone weighs in on that.

Thread Information