Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Full throttle???

99 xl 1200, I was wondering if 8000 on tach is red line? Should or could I hit 8000 rpms or 7000 ish is the limit I should go
    ?

+1
    Yamaha puts rev limiters on the stock boats to keep the motor's rpms from zinging out of sight, this typically happens when they are out of the water. It is not good for them to over rev. I think your stock rev limiter will allow it to rev up to about 7400 rpm before it cuts out. In other words, the electronics make your engine start missing. The tachometer on your boat is not very accurate. If you want to know for sure what your rpm's are, then you should invest in an aftermarket tachometer

7400 is good for me. I hit the throttle and I better hold on tight or I doing a flip over the back seat. Lol ........thaks for the info

I was also wondering when I flush. I have after market FA and rejetted. I start the engine, stgart the water and let it run for a few. It idles fine and then I shut the water off. When I hit the throttle like 3 half pulls. The engine runs away. The first time I had to pull the chokc. Second time the kill switch did the job. My first thought was a ail leak. Then I thought it only happens after I pull the throttle. Soooooooooooo I am hoping this is normal.

The engine should never "run away"...The engine is lean for one reason or another...air leak, jetting, fuel supply issue, etc.

So why would it run away because of a fule issue? It runs 3000 out of water. When It runs away it at 6000. I using 32:1 ratio. I just finished my break in.

I can't find from search. Wouldn't a run away happen at idle too not just when I hit the throttle?

Like I said above, a true "runaway" happens because the engine is lean (air/fuel ratio), and it will continue running, even if you press the "stop" button...it is actually dieseling, without being ignited by the spark plug. It is possible that the throttle cable is sticking/binding, and holding the butterflies open...this isn't a true "runaway" by definition, but could be your issue.

Polaris I understand about the air leak causing a run away , if not fixed a lean condition possible sieze. . However before I pull out my carbs I would like to rule out the easy stuff first. You mentioned jetting and fuel. I had my carbs rejetted by 0S Bill and I'm running after market (believe Prok) flame arrestors. What do I have to check on jetting and the fuel.

If Bill setup your carbs, then your issue lies elsewhere. Are you sure the throttle isn't physically hanging open? I've seen that happen before. Make sure that is operating smoothly first.

I will definitely check it this weekend and let you know what I find

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information