+1

EGT Advice From the Experts

Anyone want to talk about EGTs? I know some of you guys have been monitoring these for years and should have some good solid advice. About to install three Autometer probes and am looking for some advice as far as readings. I know that different fuels have an optimum temp for a perfect burn. I know there are many variables that affect the optimum burn such as atmospheric pressures, humidity, altitudes and etc.etc. Really looking to find out what (safe) temps are optimum for running 93 octane gasoline and what would be the max temps I would allow before shutting the engine down. If tuned properly to say 11.8 to 11.9 AFRs what temps after all is warmed up should I see?

I know you guys will have tons of good information on this subject as I am just starting to approach this area in tuning.

+1
    Damn, anyone?

+1
    LOL, i personally know aluminum melts at about 1200deg. Guy I work with left the rear cooling hose off the pump and the mid pipe melted.... oh and also witnessed the exhaust manifold melting when the exh cooling hose left off the front of manifold...

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    i have one but havent gotten a chance to try it yet...next week i get to work on my ski all week..cant wait..

skopp runs them ...pm him i think he said about 1500 was normal but ask him going off memory ..and sometimes it is short

+1
    Thanks guys for the responces! I'm sure if I keep this thread close to the top someone with knowledge of the temps will chime in. Was hopeing for a little more conversation on the topic. I will soon have these installed and do a little reading of my own a report back. Just finished yesterday beefing up the Jlewis gauge pod with a fiberglass layer on the inside for streength (was time consuming), didn't like the flex of the pod before adding the fiberglass. It's now rock solid as hell!

I run 830-860 C (1526-1580 F) at the J-pipe. I see 100 rpm gain from 830-860C. Afr's in the upper 11's. I don't run wot for more than 30-45 seconds at a time and have not seen any deterioration in the exhaust end bell...2005 rxp.

Mark

Thread Information