sl750 hood wont unlock, how to fix it?

i closed my hood earlier, then today at the lake i tried to reopen it and it spins and loosens like its unlocking, but the pin wont pull up and the hood wont open. I pulled the dash piece off and cant access it from there, took the bar cover off and even tried taking the plate witht the bar stops off and cant get to the underside of the latch. I tried pulling on the pin with pliers with no luck.

Where do i go from here? i cant fill it with oil and am out of luck until i can can get this thing to open.

thanks

Banned User
    +1
    I am betting the plastic knob cracked and wont let you spin the latch.

it dosnt have the traditional plastic knob, it just has a round little metal knob, like maybe the platic knob already broke off? I'm sure it's turning, it just won't release out of the reciever piece

+1
    The part that latches is just a pin. It locks into place in 2 places, then when turned 90 degreees it should pull up.
    The peice it locks into is plastic and shouldn't keep from pulling up.
    Attachment 246077

thats what i thought, and thats why i cant comprehend why it wont open. is it possible that the plastic reciever is spining?

+1
    The receiver is the oval peice in the diagrm, with 2 screws- on top of sttering mount.
    Looks like it would catch on the mounting tabs, if the screws fell out.

well im seeing no other way to fix this other then to drill off the hood pin and open it up to see what happened, then fab up some sort of new hood pin. Is this the only way or is there some magical way to get to the underside of the hood. I pulled the dash piece with the start button off, the handlebar pad and cant find any way of getting to this thing.

Banned User
    +1
    If there is just the metal piece, then the knob broke off. Can you push it down at the same time spinning it? You will have to get it to just the right spot to open the hood. I had this on my SL 750 before

so i just said f it and drilled through the nob and drilled it out. The metal dowel in the end of the knob slipped all the way to one end and got stuck, so it wouldnt clear the slot in the reciever and just spun passed it. I went to a local ski shop that has a bone yard of just about every ski and a bunch of polaris sl's. I snagged the knob and reciever off one ski, and although it needs to be repainted to match, its in great shape, along with a new airbox because mine is all cracked apart for 20$ and about an hour of my time to pop the old knob out of the scrap ski, so im happy.

so i think i just stumbled upon the best way to replace a sl hood latch. I drilled the original one out and went and purchased a new one. I then was stuck with how to get the pin back in the new one without destroying it or my hood. I pulled the hood off and that plastic piece thats between the hood and the extinguisher compartment. After pounding and beating the pin with no success, i started pondering around my garadge to try and find something else to use, and that thing i found was a chain link installer/remover i had for my quad/bike chains. I put the flat side with the hole over the back side of the knob stud with the hole over the hole in the stud/ rod whatever you want to call it, then put the pin in the socket on the tool, threw a socket on it, cranked it down, and it was in perfect in about a minute. I bolted my hood back on and it was done in about 15 minutes, and was alot easier and safer then most of the other "prescribed methods" ive read about online.

Thread Information