Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Speed loss 09 FZS

Noticed my FZS didn't seem to be running up to par today and dug out the GPS. All mods & prior top speed in signature. Today's best speed: 69.5. Seems to be running ok, but RPMs and top speed aren't where they should be. Towed it home and checked the following: Prop/pump, put in new plugs, verified SC clutch only turned one way, checked air cleaner, verified it wasn't in L mode, checked compression (good all 4 cylinders) and verified no codes. Not sure what to check next. On my second time out to the lake speed was the same. I tried running w/ the seats off and used a little soapy water to verify no boost leaks.

I haven't run w/ the seats off since the ski was new. Noticed the SC sounded like a can of rocks - very loud. Is it possible for an SC to go bad, but still pass the "one direction" test?

Any ideas appreciated. I'm not sure what to check next.

+1
    Where is your rpm at? Your sig says it was 84.2 @ 8780?

I would check the inside of your s/c, if corroded RPMs disappear.

+1
    RPMS were in the 6500 to 6800 range. No powershot. I'll pull the SC in the morning.

I did fill the tank before my initial trip to the lake today. Where I live, there's a limited number of places to get non-ethanol fuel, and only one place on my way to the lake. It's a large travel plaza and I'd guess they'd have a lot of turnover in the fuel, even premium.

Could old or bad fuel have that big an effect on performance?

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    It sounds like you've done a good job of eleminating the common problems. I'd check for a boost leak next. IMO a fuel issue would show other problems than just lack luster performance.

Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    +1
    I have the same exact problem with my SHO now as well. I'm missing about 1000rpms on both of my props. With my 13/23 skat and R3/C1 and Riva IC etc, I'm only turning 7200rpms. With a true skat 14/20 from impros, I only turn 7700 now with a 84mm nozzle ring. I was turning 8100rpms with the 13/23 R2/C1. I have gone over everything as well. Put new plugs in, sc wheel only turns 1 way, so no clutch issue. Checked all hoses, clamps etc, everything looks good. I even bought a brand new Odyssey battery, thinking it was down on power from the original battery, etc. Still does the same exact rpms, down on speed/rpm with the old and new battery. I'm stumped as well. I haven't even made many changes, other than an oil change and sitting over the winter.

Ski seems run strong and run fine, but it's like the throttle plate doesn't open up all the way. It pulls hard, but then just dies on the rpms. BOV seems to work, as I hear it, etc.

Let me know if you find anything Kelly. I also agree, the SC sounds pretty "rocky" but who knows if that is anything. No oil, leaks etc in the hull. I'm pretty frustrated with the whole damn thing right now. Let me know if you find the possible cause.

Good luck!
    Jeff

+1
    Check for codes maybe? Also, hook it up to YIDS and see what comes up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    It sounds like you've done a good job of eleminating the common problems. I'd check for a boost leak next. IMO a fuel issue would show other problems than just lack luster performance.
    I did rule out a boost leak w/ soapy water.

Before I pull the SC, does anyone know if it's possible for an SC to go bad, but still pass the "one direction" test?

+1
    I'm leaning toward a bad accelerator or throttle position sensor. Verified voltages on APS/TPS, harness side, but that's as far as I can go w/o a YDIS. Guess that means a trip to the dealer today if they can squeeze me in.

Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    I'm leaning toward a bad accelerator or throttle position sensor. Verified voltages on APS/TPS, harness side, but that's as far as I can go w/o a YDIS. Guess that means a trip to the dealer today if they can squeeze me in.
    Keep us posted on what they say. This was also part of my thoughts/analysis as everything else seems to be fine, and it pulls higher rpms with a different prop on mine, so I find it hard to believe if I had that much of a boost leak, I would see more rpms and mph with a different prop. I am going on vacation to my lake house in 2 days and will have to take it in to the local Yammi dealer there. Let us know if you find anything before then.

Did you wind up taking out the SC yet? I might also do that to see if there's anything I need to clean up. Good luck!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by poof100 View Post
    Did you wind up taking out the SC yet? I might also do that to see if there's anything I need to clean up. Good luck!
    No, thought it through and I don't see how it could be the SC. If the YDIS shows nothing, I'll reevaluate that and likely pull the SC just to be sure.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information