trouble starting 2002 polaris 1200 genisis i

I have a 2002 polaris 1200,this ski never gave me a problem until this.I went to start it and just a clicking noise.I replaced the Battery,just put in a new starter from sbt and still just a click noise.I just noticed that it's have way in reverse not sure if that's the problem but I can't get it back into fwd. without it turning over.any ideas? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikecabot View Post
    I have a 2002 polaris 1200,this ski never gave me a problem until this.I went to start it and just a clicking noise.I replaced the Battery,just put in a new starter from sbt and still just a click noise.I just noticed that it's have way in reverse not sure if that's the problem but I can't get it back into fwd. without it turning over.any ideas? Thanks
    Welcome to the Hulk. Hold down the bildge pump button and hit your forward button then it will go back to forward when the engine is not running. The engine will start in all positions so that is not your problem. After that, try jumping the starter solenoid with a screwdriver and see if it will turn the engine over. If it does, that is your issue most likely. If not, see if you can rotate the engine by hand after removing the spark plugs via the drive shaft coupler. If not, either the engine has an issue or the jet pump is locked up or has something in it.

Thanks Kevin. I tried rotating the drive shaft coupler and it wouldn't turn I thought because it was half way engaged in reverse that would do it .I just had it running 2 weeks ago I start it up once every 2 weeks even if I'm not using it just to keep the battery charged .I will check the jet pump and hope that's all it is. Thanks again.

The reverse would not keep the engine engine from turning over. When you put it in reverse, the gate on the back of the jet pump simply comes down and diverts the water forward. Other than that, they are not mechanically linked. Did you take the plugs out before you tried to turn it? Maybe try using a strap wrench and see if it will turn. If not, remove the jet pump and see if it will turn. Procedures for removing the pump can be found on K447's signature links

Yea I should have known better that the ski will start in any gear.I started to take the pump out,got the jet nozzle assembly off and the plastic water tube on the side broke so I'll be looking for one of them now.The impeller assembly won't come out of the pump housing though.I walked away from it for now before i start using it for target practice.I have the full service manual and it says to rotate it while taking it off well I'm 250 lbs and i can't budge it.Tomorrow is another day once I cool down I'll give it another shot.

Well I got the pump out and my motor turns freely now so that's a good thing.Now to figure out what the problem is.

If you been running it in salt water and water got in the bearings, they might be locked up. Is there corrosion where the impeller fins meet the wear ring? I have never removed an impeller, some of the guys on here will be able to help with that.

Thread Information