Help with FZS steering not being center

I just bought a new FZS and I took it out for the first time and notice that the steering is off. When I hold the handle bars straight it veers to the right, so I have to hold the bars cocked to the left a little bit for it go straight. How can I adjust it, do I need to take the handle bars off? I prefer not to take it back to the dealer because it seem like my stuff comes back with scratches on it.

Thanks

+1
    You can adjust it easily without taking the bars off. Go to the pump and pull those 2 rubber curtains (but not the pump bracket) and throw them in the trash. Anywho, there is a steering rod attached to the nozzle which is adjustable. Take it off the nozzle by sliding the connector backwards and it will pop right off. Then adjust the steering rod as needed.

Here's what the service manual says for this...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	246023 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	246024

Thanks so much for the info

+1
    Mike, the steering one doesn't pop off like the trim and reverse linkages do (at least mine doesn't), although the pics you posted have it that way. I wonder if they changed the design at some point, because mine's pressed on on the ball. I don't know why, maybe for durability. It's still easy. You need 2 10mm wrenches; a 10mm and an adjustable will do if it's all you have.

+1
    Yes, my 09 FZR has the "fixed" ball also. You may also want to consider unscrewing it from the steering nozzle (5 mm hex wrench I believe). The only thing I would worry about is if you don't rotate the end piece, that you would have to twist the cable instead. I don't know if that would have any long term effect on how well it works if it is twisted, but I didn't want to take any chances. I would recommend taking the extra time to unscrew it so you can rotate it.

+1
    I've had to center my bars three times, it's a PITA. Had to do it once when new and twice after installing (and later reinstalling) an aftermarket intercooler which required rerouting the steering cable to clear the IC.

I had no luck with adjusting the nozzle at the back, just wasn't enough adjustment there to get the bars perfectly centered.

If that turns out to be the case for you, there's another adjustment you can make at the column linkage. The column linkage attachment point does have a quick-release coupler.

I measured per the instruction above, loosened the 10mm locking nut, then released the coupler. Rotate the coupler, reconnect and remeasure. Rotating the coupler takes a bit of finesse, since the outer sleeve (part you slide back to release coupler) will rotate freely - you'll think you're turning the whole coupler when you're only spinning the sleeve. If you get the cutout notch in the sleeve to line up w/ the hole in the coupler, you can kind of press your fingertip hard into the opening to hold the sleeve in place while you rotate the whole coupler. It's trial and error on how many turns, and whether you need to turn the coupler CW or CCW. It took me a few attempts to figure it out. Once you get it perfect, reconnect the quick release coupler and then tighten the locking nut down.

Downside to adjusting the front coupler is that you have to work by feel and it's an awkward reach to get to the attachment point. Releasing & reattaching the coupler is a lot easier if you turn the handle bars all the way to one side, think it was full right.

If I ever have to make this adjustment again, I'm going to first set the rear coupler to mid-point, reattach, then center via the adjustment in the front. That way any further minor adjustments can be made in back where I can see what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by SurfRider View Post
    Yes, my 09 FZR has the "fixed" ball also. You may also want to consider unscrewing it from the steering nozzle (5 mm hex wrench I believe). The only thing I would worry about is if you don't rotate the end piece, that you would have to twist the cable instead. I don't know if that would have any long term effect on how well it works if it is twisted, but I didn't want to take any chances. I would recommend taking the extra time to unscrew it so you can rotate it.
    If you can make the adjustment per the quote above, you could then release any "twists" in the cable by removing the front coupler, then reattaching.

Thread Information