Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1

Question about bunks.....

Ok Im finally getting the 1200XLT from the shop today. I was buying a new double trailer until the Manny offered me one he had for sale. A used Continental in pretty good condition. The only thing I dont like much is the bunks. They are the ones with the wood in a vertical position and the carpet needs replacement, probably the wood too.

Are these bunks safe for the hull? They look like they would put alot more stress on the hull than the regular ones.

How separated would the bunks need to be for the RXT? I know the measurements for the regular bunks but are they the same for these vertical ones?

Also, where can I get that carpet? What type of wood should I use to replace those? I kinda got a good deal on it $600 and no rust at all on the leaf springs, bearings, hub, axle....etc

+1
    * Use Treated Lumber when replacing the bunks.

* Some people like the Bunk-slides for the larger skis, some prefer just the carpet.

* Also make sure you use Galvanized hardware when reaplcing bolt, brackets ect... they can be all found at your local Marine supply such as West Marine, Academy or Boaters World.

* Lowe's carries Galvanized Bolts, washers, nuts.

* Also purchase a can of ZRC (cold galvanizing spray) in a can.
    http://www.clearcoproducts.com/cold_...ze_sprays.html

* Can be found at some hardware of fastener stores. It helps you stay on top of any minor spots on the trailer where some galvanizing may wear off...bolts, leaf springs ect..
    Last edited by RX951; 12-14-2006 at 09:19 AM.

+1
    Sweet, thanks. I was thinking of the bunk slides myself....What are the advantages though?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoRXT View Post
    Sweet, thanks. I was thinking of the bunk slides myself....What are the advantages though?
    They reduce the friction (surface area) vs. the carpet and allow you to slide the ski off the trailer easier.

They slide really easy. They come in handy if you ever slide your boat off onto a pwc stand often.

If you have bunker slides, be very careful launching at a boat ramp. Keep the winch attached to the ski when you load/unload it as the ski may possibly SLIDE OFF if you happen to tap the brakes! [should do this for safety anyway]

Yes, it can be that slippery depending on the slope of the ramp and how many slides you put on.
    Last edited by RX951; 12-14-2006 at 09:58 AM.

+1
    The bunk slides are very slippery. Makes loading and unloading easier.
    The only problem is loading on a steep ramp, you need to have the strap ready. If not the ski will slid back after it has been pushed forward.

Bunk carpet, all sizes and colors; http://www.overtons.com/modperl/over...der/items2.cgi

some people say the bunkcaps scratch the hull really badly. I havdn't installed mine for this reason.

+1
    You can also spray some Silicone spray on the carpet to make the ski slide better.

+1
    Sliding is not really an issue for me. I've dealt with it all this time. Yeah it would be nice to have it easier, specially for an RXT with a full gas tank!!!...BUT if ist gonna damage the hull the phuck it. Carpet it is!...

Are these bunks any better/worse than the other ones. I really hate the look of it to be honest...

Geo:

If you use carpet, make sure you use STAINLESS STEEL STAPLES!

regular steel staples will last ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe a season.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    Lowes/Homedepot are your friend....I got wood(hehe), carpet(hehe) and SS staples all for 30 bucks and redid(added) bunks on a double trailer. The carpet is a black indoor/outdoor and I used 2x6's(instead of 2x4's) to help distribute the weight more. The bunk mounts however, I had to get a Boaters World AND West Marine, cause both stores only had a couple each.

FYI...Both marine stores sell "special" bunk carpet, but it was cut for 2x4's and cost 4 times the Lowes stuff....but it is available.

Good luck
    Sean

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information