Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: S.O.S. for GPS

+1

S.O.S. for GPS

I wouldn't normally appeal to the GH mass audience for help, but I think this situation may apply: Most of us (if not all) at some time or another rely on GPS as a navigational aid, whether it is land or water based. It looks like a pending FCC license may hinder or alter your future use of GPS. I ask that you read the attachment and consider voicing your opinion through the directed link. Thank you for your consideration - the clock is ticking...

http://www.boatus.com/PressRoom/release.asp?id=699

+1

+1
    Is the FCC on crack? From what I read it would effect all gps, including the one in your car/truck.

+1
    Absolutely, Troy. IMHO, GPS is one of the few things that originated as government property (military?) and was later declassified/released for the public benefit- and for damn near free. Lets face it, on any give day or night, on land or water - we all use GPS. Now, it looks as though big business will have the opportunity to profit at our expense... but that's not really news, is it?

Anyway, I thought it important enough to mention here, although, this little thread hasn't garnered much traffic...

+1
    I read about this on another site about a month ago, the FCC had filed an investigation, and in the end they found a solution that fixed the problem.

Heres the link to the article

+1
    I guess we will still be ok.

Who is Lightsquared anyways?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sfackett0 View Post
    I read about this on another site about a month ago, the FCC had filed an investigation, and in the end they found a solution that fixed the problem.

Heres the link to the article
    It seems like a "bandaid" at best, but whom am I to say... I guess, if it goes through, we'll all know in a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    I guess we will still be ok.

Who is Lightsquared anyways?
    IDK, Troy. And I didn't research it... but I felt it was important enough for me to have my say. But they [LightSq] even admitted there was a conflict within the bandwidth.

+1
    A reply from my Congressman:

"Dear Mr. Crews, Jr.:

Thank you for contacting me regarding LightSquared’s spectrum purchase and GPS reliability. I am glad to hear from you and appreciate having the benefit of your views on this issue.

Representing Coastal Louisiana here in Washington, I remain especially concerned about any action which endangers or interferes with my constituents’ ability to tell where they are on the water or the Coast Guard’s ability to come and find them should an accident occur.

As such, I am worried that if LightSquared begins using the areas of the spectrum it has been allocated that are directly adjacent to the GPS frequency, the company will inadvertently cause significant problems for our communities, particularly our fishermen and maritime related businesses.

Recently, I had the pleasure of discussing this very issue at a legislative hearing held by the U.S. House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure. During this hearing, I expressed to my colleagues my strong desire to find practical solutions that would allow LightSquared to utilize its spectrum without interfering with GPS signals or increasing costs to American taxpayers and maritime communities.

In the end, I recognize the many uses and benefits provided by the GPS system and remain fully committed to protecting its integrity. Please rest assured that I will continue to monitor this issue closely, keeping your thoughts and opinions foremost in mind.

Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to serve as your Representative in Congress. If there is ever anything else I can do to be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Respectfully,

Jeff Landry
    Member of Congress"

+1

+1
    Looks like there might be some shenanigans going on with this deal. I'm shocked that politicians would put the agenda of a political donor above the safety of the American people.

Gen Shelton told members of Congress that the GPS satellite constellation operates in a “quiet neighborhood” in terms of bandwidth, and it’s this lack of interference that helps shield the GPS system from harmful interference in its critical operations. The LightSquared project would be the equivalent of a rock band moving into the neighborhood and blasting its music. All the testing the military did on LightSquared’s systems indicated major disruptions in the GPS system.
    http://biggovernment.com/mangley/201...ouse-pressure/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information