Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Any Camera Experts

Ok, the wife wants to take up photography as a hobby. So I am looking for a nice (but not top of the line) digital camera to get her for X-Mass. I have targeted the Canon Rebel XTI, Nikon D80 and Sony A100. Anyone have any input on which is better, where to get them at a good price (seems online stores are cheaper) etc.

Mark is a big camera nut.
    I'm sure he'll be able to help ya Franko.

+1
    Here is some Nikon info for you. I will not comment on Cannon. They make the opposing camera to Nikon, and they are just as easy to use, and also have great lenses. Nikon used to be more of a Studio camera. Cannon used to be more of a sports camera. NOW that line is jadded and crossed. Whatever SHE likes, is what I'd recommend.

Irregardless of brand, heed my advice:
    For a first time camera hobbyist, I'd seriously consider this LENS first. Don't get hung up on Megapixals. That is just marketing to get you to buy the latest and greatest. Go for your specific photography desires.

Nikon:
    -----------------------------------------
    This lens has changed the way I shoot. It gets in close, it's faster than my camera, and I can use it at 40mph while chasing another ski for that one of a kind shot. The lens makes the camera...not the other way around.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

Then decide what camera to wrap around this baby!

Ease of use, fairly affordable? D40
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

-Lightweight
    -3fps
    -Big LCD
    -Battery life is incredible.
    -Easy menus
    -Super cheap.

Sports Photography, high speed action? D200
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d200.htm

-Pretty heavy
    -Expensive
    -5fps
    -Big LCD
    -Super vibrant colors.
    -Easy Menus
    -Cost more, but you are paying for subtle differences.
    -Water resistant...not waterproof.
    -magnes body, rubber seals and grips...heavy.

Some of both world? D80 (comparison)
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/vs-d70.htm

Comparison of the D80, D200
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/vs-d200.htm

Price is a huge difference.

D80
    D200

Construction
    Plastic

Metal, weather resistant

Exterior Covering
    hard, slippery plastic

sticky rubber

Control Dials
    hard, slippery plastic

firm, sticky rubber

Speed
    3 FPS

5 FPS

Weight
    20 oz. (575g)

29 oz. (825g)

Price, November 2006 (body only)
    Battery Life, real world
    1,000 - 2,000 shots

450 - 500 shots

Rear Nav Button
    4 position

9 position

ISO in finder?
    no*

YES

Exposure mode in finder
    no

YES

Meter mode in finder
    no

YES

Set exposure in full stops?
    no

YES

Set ISO in full stops
    no

YES

Auto-zooms to active AF area in playback
    no

YES

AF Area Mode switch
    no

YES

ISO button
    shared

dedicated

WB button
    shared

dedicated

QUAL button
    shared

dedicated

I still shoot some with my 2 year old D70. It takes great shots, is light weight, and I have a 3year warranty on it from Ritz. It's been back 2 times after dropping it and blowing it apart.

I'd highly advice getting a camera from Ritz, and buying the No-fault extended warranty. The only things they don't cover are loss, or burning it. You can Drown it, kick it, swing it, blow it apart...they will cover it.

You see i've referenced Ken Rockwell pages. That is because he seems to want to get the picture, and not worry about the equipment. He has some great info on Cannon as well. Check it out.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

+1
    I am saving up for this lens.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-300-vr.htm

I will be selling my older 300mm lens for a nikon DSLR camera after I get the new lens...

The lens makes the camera...

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    I'll comment on Canon, That Rebel would be an excellent choice for your wife it accepts all the lenses and flashes, should she decide she loves photography, she could always upgrade the body and keep using the lenses.

"Nikon used to be more of a Studio camera. Cannon used to be more of a sports camera. NOW that line is jadded and crossed"

Sorry Hydro but that is Camera store sales hype junk. if anything Nikon was always famous for their glass and flashes. Canon closed the door on that in the 90s and then left nikon behind with autofocus and now widened the gap with their digital technology while Nikon sat on their thumbs. next time you see a sporting event look for the white lenses vs the black.

Frank Stay away from being sold stuff as Kits and the EF-S Lenses, Go to Competitive Camera near Downtown (Irving Blvd I think-yellow pages) ask for Ramsey or his son.

Online or thru new york can be tricky and the foreigners will look for ways to take advantage of you. they are rude as hell be firm with them. Dont buy memory cards from same place you buy camera try E-cost.com for that or mydigitaldiscount.com

www.irvinphotography.com
    Last edited by meirvin; 12-14-2006 at 12:48 PM.

I was going to say.............just ask Mike,he definitely knows what he's doing when it comes to cameras.

+1
    No worries Meirvin.

Just like SeaDoo and Yamaha, to each his own.

If you would read between the lines of my statement, you would understand what I should have said more clearly... The Cannon lenses were the best in the business. Every sports event in the world, you would see these big, white CANON lenses. That was no accident. Canon glass WAS the best. Now you see both at major events... NO ACCIDENT. Both lenses perform well. I didn't hear that in a camera store. I see it at the track every weekend.

Now the lines are skewed. Nikon HAS played catch up. The lenses for the consumer (under 1000) are some of the best around. I'd still give the edge to Canon for the +$5000 lens.

A noteable exception is the wide angle 12mm lens from Canon. Nice lens. Period.

I played with the rebel, and found the menus confusing. I never could find what I was looking for, without staring at menus for 10 minutes. I don't have time for that, nor am I smart enough for that. The box lens was a nice lens.

Does that camera store you recommend have a no-fault warranty? If not, I'd walk away from it. Otherwise, you better pamper these cameras, and keep them safely tucked away.

+1
    Thanks guys. I'm looking to spend ~$1000. I don't want to spend a ton because I don't know if she will really get into photography, or if this is just a passing fancy. So those high dollar lenses will have to wait until I know for sure.

Mike, are you saying I should get the camera and a lense separately rather than as a kit? If so, what lense would be good for a beginner?

+1
    FYI,
    Also realize that the nikons all take the same lenses and are all interchangeable as well. Autofocus is common place on all the top names, and the image-stabilization lens across the board are far better than non-IS lens' regardless or brand or name. Don't believe anyone that has only used one brand, and tend to get up in arms over other brands.

I highly recommend playing with each before just following anyones advice. The menus are paramount to her happiness. These are no longer JUST cameras. Now they are more electronic devices. Just like your computer, every two years, the body becomes yesterdays news.

Here's another site.
    http://www.dpreview.com/
    Don't forget that other companies sell lenses that are less expensive and, for most amateurs, more than adequate for their photography.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information