Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1993 Yamaha Waverunner WR500R- Girl wants to learn about repair/maintenance

Need help with fuel issue. Had it out on the lake after cleaning out the pine needles under the hood, draining and replacing the 2 yr old gas mix, tightened a few screws here and there and basic wash to remove the sand, dirt and grime all around.

Put it in the water and it actually started up right away. After 30 minutes of average riding it died. Would start if choked, but would die if engaging throttle.

I did not replace the plugs and will attempt to get the fuel filter and replace that if I can figure it out.

Could the engine be overheating? I noticed when I pulled it out of the water, no water came out of the drain plugs. Help!

+1
    No water out of the drain plug in the back of the ski is ok. Sounds like maybe some dirt/debris/trash might have found its way up to the fuel filter or carb and clogged it up. New plugs, fuel filter, and maybe a carb rebuild would be a good place to start.

if the wr over heated it would go into limp mode and only turn 2500 rpm ...this to get you back to shore... do as cutlass said, sounds like a fuel issue...
    you could also check the fuel levels of the pickups, its possible the hoses have cracks or broke off up higher in the tank and are now sucking air and not fuel..Did you try to run it in reserve to see if that system would pick up fuel and run?

Personally......I would change all fuel lines.....it has been sitting in the weather for a while......don't play with fuel.....u have an 1100 10 gallon bomb under your balls.......Do you still want kids? Change fuel filter and open the carbs.....give them a good clean. You may not need a carb rebuild kit, but it would not hurt. Only if u r low on cash.....that you can just check the carbs. After that....if there are problems....I would check the fuel pump.

No worrie steph..Rasta means well!! .. your 500cc ski has only 5.3 gallons of fuel and shouldnt bomb ya.... (500s dont bomb, they were built with overkill in mind and run for ever... )

Rasta dude, check the headline.. shes a girl .. .. he's right in that its more than likely fuel related and a carb rebuild might just fix all your issues..

mi amor.....disculpame.....no lo se que usted es una chica......quizas....una chica bonita?

but yeha....fuel issues as he said.......

Okay-I've changed the plugs, filter and will try to figure out the carb rebuild thing. Thanks! I won't explain what I was thinking with the drain plugs, would make me look way too stupid. Anyway, I am working on it.

Now I am getting scared. Hope it doesn't blow up between my legs!!

+1
    keep us posted on the results

Okay, I put it in the water this weekend with some success. I first adjusted the choke cable because I could actually see the cable, it was coming all the way out when I choked it. Apparently the cable somehow came out of the lever on the other end.

Hoping this was the problem with the whole fuel issue, but it wasn't. Symptoms now:

It starts pretty much only if it's choked,
    I can gas it a little, for some time before it dies out now,
    and I discovered by accident that it jumps right out of the water, full throttle, with the choke closed.

So I am thinking, it is getting too much air somewhere. I read about checking a valve, but I don't have any other brilliant ideas. Really I am trying to avoid the whole carb rebuild/removal thing. I might just put it out of commission.

I once took apart my sons pw50, of course it is still sitting there, about 15 years now. I've also removed a few parts off my sons 125 and it's still sitting there too. I'd like to try to clean this thing without taking it apart too much. How about some of that Sea Foam stuff?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information