+1

Load Rite trailer breaking bolts

My 2008 WV2200 2 place PWC trailer has broken the front fender/leafspring mounting bolt on both sides of the trailer.
    The first time it happened was on the way back from Sebago Lake ME to Boston, I was able to use a bolt from the trailer jack to hold it together until I got home and replaced it.
    It was loaded with 2- 07 RXT's.
    This time it was loaded with two 2011 RXTis, and I noticed the fender flapping around.

Any Idea what could be causing these to snap?
    The trailer is rated at 2200 lbs capacity, so even fully loaded with fuel, I'm under the limit.

+1
    Check that the leaf springs are mounted on the trailer correctly, I've seen them mounted backwards causing similar problems to yours! Additionally, you ARE maxing that trailer out with these new ski's, gear box, full fuel load (102 lbs per ski), etc. Make sure all tires are balanced and properly inflated. Hopefully they are at least 13"+ wheels............If your tires look bowed out and your tires are wearing on the inside, the axle is maxed out and is flexing too much. It needs to be a minimum of a 3"x2" NOT a 2"x2".

You definitely have something wrong......good luck!

+1
    Food for thought: I was had an issue w/ trailer tires while hauling 2 RXTs. I was blowing a tire or two every summer going from the house to the camp. Like you, my trailer and tires were rated for the load, as it sat. I'm no physics major but I finally came to the conclusion that I was way beyond max capacity every time I hit a bump and one (or both) tires left the ground. When gravity finally took over, the weight, upon landing, was more than could be handled. I finally spent the money and purchased a beefier trailer w/larger rims/tires and have had no problems since.

I don't know anything about the price/condition of your trailer, but I hope your not gambling like I was: Carrying around over $20K worth of skis on an $900. trailer... it was a recipe for disaster. Of course, in your case, it's prob. close to $40K.

Good luck w/your situation...

+1
    The trailer has 10" tires, there is no unusual wear to the inside edges of the tires, the ski's weight is 970lbs, which I assume is dry weight, adding in oil, antifreeze, and 18.6 gallons of fuel puts it at over 1100 lbs x 2, now I'm over the capacity of the trailer not even including the fire extinguishers!.
    I'm surprised the dealer didn't suggest upgrading the trailer when I traded in my 2- 2007 RXT's for the new ski's.
    I cringe every time I hit a dip or good size bump in the road.
    I emailed the dealer to see what other trailers they have, the next one up is rated at 2450 lbs.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    bouncing is one of the reasons you are not safe carrying the rated load..you need to be 10-20% under max laod to be safe. Consider metal fatigue if your trailer is several years old.

My tank crane was rated for 800 pounds max. I bounced a yamaha 1200 a little while lifting it and exceeded that rating by a fair bit. The arm cracked.

get a lot more trailer then you think you need. you have big money riding on two itty bitty tires.

and while on the topic..change your trailer hitch ball lately?

+1
    Hitch ball is 4 years old, time to change it?

+1
    I've decided to trade in my trailer for the next higher rated trailer, it's rated for 2450 lbs, and has a torsion axle.
    The frame is fully welded and comes with 12" radial tires.
    It's a foot longer and has a center walkway.
    The trailer is $1700, and the dealer will give me $800 on the trade in.
    $900 for peace of mind is worth it to me.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

balls and aels

I'd _certainly without doubt_ treat myself to a new ball if my current one was 4 years old. Just think..and new and shiny chrome for under $20. You haven't lived until your entire rig was saved by those $30 safety chains I demanded you install on your trailer when your old ones were too short.

I'm not a real big fan of torsion bar axels or 12 inch rims. Try to get 13's minimum AND if you are running 12's I'd strongly ( real strongly) suggest you carry a spare if you are more then a half hour drive from your home port)

now that's just me..don't forget..I'm in the middle of nowhere and people often drive 100+ miles to come here....I've seen all manner of trailer problems.

Thread Information