New to jet ski world

Hey guys, Im new to the jet ski world, I got a few boats and do some charter fishing. I just picked up a 1997 Yamaha Gp1200 in flawless shape with 49.6 hours on motor.

I like the ski alot and have been out a few times on it. Only issuse is the fuel gauge says low fuel but its full. ( i keep it full cause gauge dont work). Just looking for some input as what are good and bad about these ski's. Is there any MUST do changes i should make. I am looking to keep it the most reliable.

Reliably bring me into my next question. Fuel conmsumption! I am considering puting some rod holders and a cooler on it so i can go fishing. I am worried on what type of range i can get. I know it depends on if i am WOT or not. But lets say i am just crusing at 25-30 mph.!

Thanks guys love this fourm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet Ski.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	246317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 320.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	246318I have a 1200 GPR, check out my set set up on my profile picture, been limiting out on 20-30 lbs salmon for the last week and even brought in a 78 lbs halbut. Rod holder on each side up front, and holders on the PVC rack also, Garmin fish/GPS installed in glove compatment.

I removed the cat/Con and replaced it with a D plate and chip ( a must) my Cat/Con broke up at 80 hours,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by srt44116 View Post
    Hey guys, Im new to the jet ski world, I got a few boats and do some charter fishing. I just picked up a 1997 Yamaha Gp1200 in flawless shape with 49.6 hours on motor.

I like the ski alot and have been out a few times on it. Only issuse is the fuel gauge says low fuel but its full. ( i keep it full cause gauge dont work). Just looking for some input as what are good and bad about these ski's. Is there any MUST do changes i should make. I am looking to keep it the most reliable.

Reliably bring me into my next question. Fuel conmsumption! I am considering puting some rod holders and a cooler on it so i can go fishing. I am worried on what type of range i can get. I know it depends on if i am WOT or not. But lets say i am just crusing at 25-30 mph.!

Thanks guys love this fourm
    Here's a good thread on the fuel gauge issue: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...e-tank-is-full.

Here's a good one on fuel economy: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...0-Fuel-Economy

And luckily you don't need to worry about the cat converter problem Butler mentioned because your GP1200 doesn't have one!!

There are a few mods for reliability though. But before you do those mods, make sure all the water and fuel lines are in good shape and well secured. That'll buy you a lot of reliability there.

Thread Information