Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

06 RXT Replaced wear ring and new prop, now only 7600-7800 rpms

I sucked up a rock the other weekend, killing my solas 14/19 prop and wear ring. It also chewed up the pump veins a bit. (I ground those smooth). Here's the weird thing. I'm running a Riva Air Intake. I replaced the wear ring and slapped my freshly refurbed stock prop back in. I expected to see my RPM's jump higher. In fact I was worried I'd bounce off the limiter. Instead, it's almost like I do nothing but cavitate for 20 feet, then it hooks up and takes off. Factory speedo, still reads 68mph, but I'm only turning 7600-7800 rpms. I didn't GPS it. I basically now have NO hole shot, which will kill the possibilities of wake boarding behind it this coming weekend.
    Here's what I'm thinking, and feel free to beat me up on these ideas as you see fit:

#1 Is it possible I didn't get the teeth matched up on the prop somehow when I reassebled it? Or is the pump shoe somehow not seated correctly?

#2 The veins were chewed pretty bad. I ground them down. I'll try to upload a pic of the pump before it was reworked.

Any suggestions are appreciated fellas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-07-12_17-17-32_630.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	246251

+1
    Did you remember to put the gasket in ? Its sucking air from somewhere.

That prop can be repaired no problem

Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert on these things.

Is it possible that you damaged the carbon ring seal on the front side of the driveshaft and it's getting air through there? Maybe the neoprene seal between the pump housing and the ski didn't get properly seated or damaged? Are all the bolts properly tightened?
    To me, logically the initial take off is when you're creating the greatest amount of suction in the in the intake housing. There has to be a weak seal of some sort giving way and then recovering because you're pulling pretty good top speed. I have similar smaller chips on the vanes of my pump and I'm struggling with top speed.

I'm in the same exact boat, RXT ran 68/69 and pulled 7950/8000 rpm's with stock prop, I put a 14/17R and flipped the wear ring and this weekend I could only pull 7200/7400 rpm's with speed's for 60/62 on dream o meter, I did reuse the neoprene seal and flipped the wear ring.
    What's the torque for the jet pump 17mm nuts.

+1

Can anyone pls post a pic of what a bad wear ring looks like as opposed to a regular wear ring ?

Here's the deal fellas. I talked to my buddy that owns a boat shop and has worked on these things for years. I explained that putting the pump back on "Seemed waaaay too easy this last time". When I slipped the pump back onto the driveshaft it went all the way in.....minus an inch. Which I was corrected as "That isn't ALL THE WAY IN." I have probably just toasted a driveshaft/splines and a fresh refurbed prop by not aligning the driveshaft all the way. So....it's a possibility, the prop was spinning based off of friction and not the splines being in place. Quite possibly an expensive lesson and Rookie Mechanic Mistake #1.

Quote Originally Posted by jheyde View Post
    Here's the deal fellas. I talked to my buddy that owns a boat shop and has worked on these things for years. I explained that putting the pump back on "Seemed waaaay too easy this last time". When I slipped the pump back onto the driveshaft it went all the way in.....minus an inch. Which I was corrected as "That isn't ALL THE WAY IN." I have probably just toasted a driveshaft/splines and a fresh refurbed prop by not aligning the driveshaft all the way. So....it's a possibility, the prop was spinning based off of friction and not the splines being in place. Quite possibly an expensive lesson and Rookie Mechanic Mistake #1.
    Oh that sucks. If there's a positive to it, atleast you know what the problem is

+1
    Id be suprised if it went back together wrong. Usually isnt the case.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by XDAILY View Post
    Id be suprised if it went back together wrong. Usually isnt the case.
    +1 no way it could bolt up correctly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information