Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Virage

2002 Virage

I need some help with my Virage. I got it from my parents when they decided they were not going to do anything with them after they let them set for 5 years. I took them to a shop and they had them for 5 months, on the Virage they replaced the fuel pump, the computer and the plugs. When I got it I took it to the lake I added fresh gas and oil, it ran but it would sometimes die and take a while to start. I figured that the shop did not clean out the old gas and the problem would pass, the next day I took it to the lake and i could not get the ski to plane or get above 5mph. I can take intake cleaner and spray it in the throttle bodies and make the ski run like normal. I found a thread on here talking about the FPR coming out of the fuel pump housing so I took the fuel pump out, to my surprise it is still attached, today I brought home my fuel pressure gauge and it shows 20 psi and jumps to 30 when i pinch the return line. I'm not sure where to begin, i am in the process of emptying the fuel tank and cleaning the pump and filters, any other advice would be appreciated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    I need some help with my Virage. I got it from my parents when they decided they were not going to do anything with them after they let them set for 5 years. I took them to a shop and they had them for 5 months, on the Virage they replaced the fuel pump, the computer and the plugs. When I got it I took it to the lake I added fresh gas and oil, it ran but it would sometimes die and take a while to start. I figured that the shop did not clean out the old gas and the problem would pass, the next day I took it to the lake and i could not get the ski to plane or get above 5mph. I can take intake cleaner and spray it in the throttle bodies and make the ski run like normal. I found a thread on here talking about the FPR coming out of the fuel pump housing so I took the fuel pump out, to my surprise it is still attached, today I brought home my fuel pressure gauge and it shows 20 psi and jumps to 30 when i pinch the return line. I'm not sure where to begin, i am in the process of emptying the fuel tank and cleaning the pump and filters, any other advice would be appreciated.
    Possible TPS issue. disconnect it and tell us what it does

Fuel pressure is adequate, but seems a bit on the low side, but that could be the guage not being accurate, however it would be sufficient to run more than 5MPH!!!!!.
    You are running on scavenged fuel, you can get enough air through your T bodies when you are opening the throttle and dropping fuel in opening, if the fuel is present you can bring up the RPMS with the butterfly's closed. Disconnect TPS and see if it does the same, if it does, you are only running on the air and fuel you are dumping plus the little bit the injectors will let through. In which case I would heavily suspect TPS.

If K447 is listening, he is the zen master of DI stuff. Pray he is listening, and we will have some better answers...
    The connector on the TPS is very suspect to being loose, dirty or not making contact, clean it, make sure pins are seated, and no GOOP on the pins. You will have it apart anyway to do the test I suggested, clean it while you have it apart.

Big Frank, just FYI, with the TPS unplugged, the engine will not respond when you hit the gas but it will idle fine. Any warnings on the MFD? Sounds like your fuel pressure is fine. As boomanch1967 said, its likely a bad TPS. In regard to it dieing before and being hard to restart, that could possibly be a bad start/stop module. They can be bypassed as per the instructions in K447's links. As for checking other possibilities read through his signature links for some troubleshooting information.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofalltrades View Post
    Big Frank, just FYI, with the TPS unplugged, the engine will not respond when you hit the gas but it will idle fine. Any warnings on the MFD? Sounds like your fuel pressure is fine. As boomanch1967 said, its likely a bad TPS. In regard to it dieing before and being hard to restart, that could possibly be a bad start/stop module. They can be bypassed as per the instructions in K447's links. As for checking other possibilities read through his signature links for some troubleshooting information.
    I was keeping that information a secret!!! As that way we knew he followed the instructions. Been troubleshooting my whole adult life with computers, GPS on tractors and combines... gotta leave some stuff out so you can double check your student!! Its all good anyway!! I have just been burned so many times by my customers, oh yah I did that, did not make a difference!! You know the short circut guy that you can never figure out what is going on... cause he is not doing it like you asked... Just a habit I guess, but 20 years is a long time, and you learn ways of double checking, so you don't waste time. If I had a dollar for everytime I asked someone if they unplugged this or pushed that button, and come to find out after an hour on the phone, they did not do it, I would be retired some where having drinks in the sand... watching nearly naked women stroll by... So little tricks just to make sure...
    Once he got back to us, I was going to offer him a TPS that I know is good to test with. As you know having known good parts is about the only way to fix these machines without wasting a bunch of time.... So if anyone has any CPS's they know are good and want to part with, pm me, as I am out of good CPS sensors, have 2 good TPS's in my bag of tricks and one known good EMM

I appreciate the info, I will give it a shot tomorrow and get back with you. I am definitely not a short cut guy, been working on cars along time and I learned along time ago the short cuts only cost time and money neither of which I have. I thought about the TPS because it looks pretty rough, like I said I will give it a go tomorrow so I can bring some more tools home from work forgot them today.

+1
    Glad to hear that... good luck tomorrow, I will check back on here tomorrow eve and hopefully you will have some answers!! Good Luck!!

Ok checked the connector it was corroded, cleaned it, made no difference, the ski runs rough with and without the TPS connected, my wife could not tell the difference. I did get the check engine message but the ski runs rough. Fixing to disconnect all the connections and clean all of the corroded. So where do I go from here?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Ok checked the connector it was corroded, cleaned it, made no difference, the ski runs rough with and without the TPS connected, my wife could not tell the difference. I did get the check engine message but the ski runs rough. Fixing to disconnect all the connections and clean all of the corroded. So where do I go from here?
    Thats a good start, clean all grounds and connections, corrosion on TPS is not a suprise. Clean all connections, and ground lug on motor, and battery connections. Then we will go from there. I can send you a TPS for testing, however I will need it back, so if you want me to send it to borrow I am fine with that, just put a deposit of 100.00 on paypal, PM me and I will give you info for paypal, or you can order one from babitsonline parts, let me know what you want to do. Once I get it back, I will credit you, less shipping to you.

I have a code reader I built also, would also be willing to let you borrow as long as you put a deposit on it. You may be getting check engine light from stored code from the disconnection of your TPS while running. If you use my code reader, please advise us of what you have disconnected while the engine is running, as if a sensor is dropped, a code will likely be stored.

Lets check the stator also... from the Mag side of the motor, find the group of wires and follow back to EMM(yellow wires going into black loom) and unplug from EMM set your multimeter to alarm buzz, and put red lead on pin in deutz connector, black lead on head bolt, go to each pin, note if any buzzed or showed connection to ground.

OK I did the continuity test and got no sound so I am assuming you were checking to see if the stator was grounding out? If you think I need a TPS I will probably go ahead and buy the whole set up instead of doing the swap to have to do it again. I'm starting to wonder if the injectors are clogged with trash and if I should bring my fuel injection kit home and do a flush?

+1
    would not hurt, yep that is exactly what i was after!!!! Clean all ur grounds also

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information