Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1

Installing SC wheel..........

Is use of a 1/4" electronic TQ wrench an absolute must when installing a new wheel??

I've had a 1/4 craftsman electronic wrench not work right and break a bolt. Some might say that's what you get for buying a cheap wrench. Really?

It's a good investment. I would highly recommend getting a decent electronic wrench to do inch pounds and still be careful. I used to use a click type and was sweating bullets everytime. If you think it should have gone off it probably should have, stop.

+1
    It aint like the dark days of 08/09 when you were screwed if you snapped the shaft because there were no aftermarket replacements. I've heard most click types are not accurate on reverse threads, but it worked for me...even though I was sweating it like SHObiz. After lots of shopping I bought a 3/8 electronic Snap-on because it was the only 3/8 I found that would measure below 10ft/lbs...goes as low as 60in/lbs. It came out cheaper buying one high end wrench than buying mid grade 1/4 & 3/8. The $400 was worth it for me but it would be a waste for many others. I did find several affordable electronic 1/4 models(gearwrench has one for ~$100), but IMO it is kinda a one-trick tool for our purposes.

+1
    Jared, I've got a buddy who is a Snap On rep. If you want, I may be able to ship you a Snap on 1/4" digital torque wrench to use and send back to me. OR, send me your SC and I will install it for you. Either way, YOU NEED MORE BOOST!

Or, if R&D's superclutch becomes available soon, I will sell you my R&D SC shaft for very cheap. I won't need it anymore with the new SC clutch kit, and my old R&D shaft will take ft. lbs instead of inch lbs.

How soon you getting the wheel and how soon you wanting it installed?

I used a craftsman 3/8 click inch on my R/D shaft. Glen from R/D said hes gone 90ft/pounds and still not broke their shaft. I set my to 90inch/pounds as per Glen.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    I did a poll on this a couple of months ago when I was getting ready to do my wheel. It turned out to be a pretty even split between digital and clicker types. I just used a good quality clicker style and had no problems at all. Don't use a cheap harbor freight one, you'd be asking for trouble.

Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    +1
    I used a Gearwrench In/lbs clicker tq one for my Riva SC shaft install and didn't have an issue. I also searched around for an electronic one and the gearwrench electronic didn't get good reviews nor did the craftsman ones. If I were to invest in one, I'd buy a Snap on or Matco, but as others have said, they are Pricey.

+1
    i used a normal 1/4'' wrench set to 7 lbs/ft with no problems. you can actually torque it by feel with a lot of years experience working on engines. this is what i did with no problems.

+1
    call me crazy but ive installed a few wheels now for myself and friends, and torqued all of them by feel, using red locktite. one of them just turned 150 hrs on the clock this past weekend and all is good.
    shit, if i had to spend $400 on a wrench id use it and return that sucker.. lol.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 305coco View Post
    call me crazy but ive installed a few wheels now for myself and friends, and torqued all of them by feel, using red locktite. one of them just turned 150 hrs on the clock this past weekend and all is good.
    shit, if i had to spend $400 on a wrench id use it and return that sucker.. lol.
    Nice!!! My luck they would find some reason not to take it back!!

I think Ill just get my Snap-On 1/4 clicker out and hit her with that. Ill just be crazy careful and use some heat! Is it a good idea to heat the shaft beforehand too?

Todd,

If you decide to part with that shaft let me know!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information