Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to know if RRFPR is *required*??

Not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but how do you know if you NEED a RRFPR installed? Ive been running my set-up for about 80hrs or so and its running flawless (winter and summer temps) with the x charger, 42s and external IC with just the 3in riva intake, no air filter....so, contrary to popular advice, I do not *need* one at the moment.

However, I have the stuff to install a 4in kanaflex (routed up front) and the SC adaptor but im wondering if this extra air will cause me to run much leaner and require an RRFPR unit. So, what exactly does the motor do if it's in need of more fuel from a pressure regulator....does the computer perform a fuel-cut or timing-cut that i will notice?

Thanks,
    sean

+1
    Are you monitoring your AFR's at all? You should be running one now IMO! ESPECIALLY if you run the 4" intake. With the intercooler you should be running it. JMO!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Are you monitoring your AFR's at all? You should be running one now IMO! ESPECIALLY if you run the 4" intake. With the intercooler you should be running it. JMO!
    +1

Honestly, I have not monitored AFRs....i know i should have been, but I was given a little confidence of this set-up by a sea doo dealer/modifier back when i bought all the speed parts. As it turned out this past year, ive been lucky and havent had a lick of trouble or symptoms with this set-up, at least not at 1100ft elevation here in the desert dry air. I do agree....ive been pushing my luck - with much success....but with this 4in plan, ive been too worried to even put it on yet, lol.

So, if i did install it and bang on the throttle, will this 05 rxp motor give me some hints to a RRFPR first, or will it just run lean and break on me before "cluing me in" early?

+1
    +1

IMO you should be using a RRFPR. If you're hesitant about the price, do like I did, and go the DIY route.

DIY RRFPR

I've run the DIY RRFPR with an xcharger and 42s for a while with no issues.

Pauly C.

Quote Originally Posted by Small Paul View Post
    +1

IMO you should be using a RRFPR. If you're hesitant about the price, do like I did, and go the DIY route.

DIY RRFPR

I've run the DIY RRFPR with an xcharger and 42s for a while with no issues.

Pauly C.
    Yea Ive proved long enough so far that im safe as is with my set-up....but with upcoming basic mods i know im gonna have to engage in some monitoring devices and fuel regulator. But for the immediate time being, i was wondering if i'll get some early clues from the ECU that i'm actually up for a RRFPR once the 4in intake is on? like fuel/timing-cut or such....

+1
    you wont have any idea unless you were so lean it wouldn't run right.

First clue would be melted pistons.

+1
    without ever testing your AFR you will never be able to answer your question.
    Others with exact same setups can give you data to go by, but not 2 skis are the same.
    Take two exact same skis and change the timing and the data will not be the data.

+1
    The ECU is not going to tell you anything. Your exhaust manifold bell might (if it's still there). There's no way to "prove" a set up is safe without measuring actual AFR numbers, especially since you *should* have a RRFPR. Do yourself a favor and check it out before some serious damage happens! My guess is the engine has been slowly deteriorating for all those 80 hours that you ran it. Which means that a rebuild will be required that much sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    Yea Ive proved long enough so far that im safe as is with my set-up....but with upcoming basic mods i know im gonna have to engage in some monitoring devices and fuel regulator. But for the immediate time being, i was wondering if i'll get some early clues from the ECU that i'm actually up for a RRFPR once the 4in intake is on? like fuel/timing-cut or such....

Okay thanks for all the comments so far....makes sense. I'll have to get on checking the AFRs next before breaking it before winter even starts i guess
    I'll leave the 4in kanaflex on the garage floor for now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information