kawi 650 sx starting solenoid

heres my deal my 650 just started doing this the starting solenoid just clicks no crank any way to fix or check if its bad...?

Quote Originally Posted by BADSL900 View Post
    heres my deal my 650 just started doing this the starting solenoid just clicks no crank any way to fix or check if its bad...?
    I have a 900STX but the starter circuit should be similar. I would suggest you take voltage measurements as follows: There should be a red wire from the starter that connects to one terminal on the solenoid. The other terminal on the solenoid has a red wire that connects to the positive terminal on the battery.
    With a voltmeter, measure the voltage at the solenoid terminal that goes to the battery. It should read the battery voltage (12V+). Then check the voltage on the other solenoid terminal (red wire going to the starter). It should read 0 volts. Press the start button. you will hear the solenoid click and voltage on that terminal should read 12V+. If it does read that voltage then the solenoid is ok and I would then look to the starter or it connections as being the problem. Also a low battery voltage can cause the same symptom. So make sure that your battery is in good condition.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info much appriceiated will try it

Let us know what you find.

Willl do! Workin on it tommorow

alright. needs a new starter used my power probe. and the positive cable is getting 13.0v when i hit the start button so yeah problem solved. now time to pull the motor yay!

+1
    Before doing that, jump directly from the battery to the starter terminal. It will spark, but that's OK. Also, grab the driveshaft coupling and turn the crank. Make sure the impeller isn't locked up or the engine seized.

Quote Originally Posted by BADSL900 View Post
    alright. needs a new starter used my power probe. and the positive cable is getting 13.0v when i hit the start button so yeah problem solved. now time to pull the motor yay!
    When you say "the positive cable cable is getting 13.0 volts" you are referring to the cable that goes directly to the starter correct??

I'm not farmiliar with the 650 but are you sure that you have to pull the engine to change the starter?
    Last edited by ki5pm; 07-21-2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: additional question

Thread Information