+1

Are FA sock/outerwears a significant restriction?

It had never occurred to me that the outerwears on my 1390 might be costing me some performance until I read a comment about that in a post. Is there any opinion or experiance defining a performance reduction with using them? I do have a custom made slash shield under the carbs.

+1
    any time you restrict flow it reduce performance. keep in mind that everything is relative and adjustments have to made accrdingly to the adjusters. The socks will fatten up your mixture requiring you to lean the adjustment down a bit. removing them you will need to adjust accordingly.

Don't the "Socks" prevent water from being ingested "Just In Case" it gets water inside the hull?

Quote Originally Posted by mrtinker View Post
    Don't the "Socks" prevent water from being ingested "Just In Case" it gets water inside the hull?
    No, they really don't do much in my experience, except restrict airflow. They were originally designed to stop snow ingestion on snowmobiles, for which they do work.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    It had never occurred to me that the outerwears on my 1390 might be costing me some performance until I read a comment about that in a post. Is there any opinion or experiance defining a performance reduction with using them? I do have a custom made slash shield under the carbs.
    It seems the way you put this that you are concerned about not having enough air going into your engine. Think about you stock flame arrestor and about how restrictive it is compared to the aftermarket ones, yet they can get the job done.

It is not so much about air being delivered. The aftermarket arrestors deliver with or without the socks very easily. What Oside Bill is talking about is the amount of FUEL that is being delivered with and without the socks. Fuel delivery changes as you change the vacume, and the socks effect vacume significantly enough to effect performance. In other words, you can get the same performance with or without the socks, but you have to adjust your carbs to get it.

The implied difference between having the socks or not having them is that you have more protection with the socks. My attitude about this is that they may protect you from injesting dirt or sand that may be in the bottom of your hull that the flame arrestor could not filter out. I'm not buying the water protection thing at all.

Thread Information