Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question bought 01 waverunner xlt 1200 with bad cylinder

HI I AM A NEWBI and have a couple of question yalls help will be a big help
    Ok I bought a 2001 yamaha xlt 1200 from a friend that had the rear cylinder burn up after the oil injection line to it went bad. so he sold it to me. I immeditly got online and found a top end rebuild kit that came with one cylinder and also a oil block off kit(plan on premixing) after i install the cylinder and top end how do i need to break it in?

+1
    Make sure you have fresh gas, I would take it easy for the first tank from low to mid range throttle only. Dont stay on the same rpm, fluctuate your rpm. Dont do any wot yet... Play it safe.. Everyone have there own way or theory of breaking in..

Quote Originally Posted by Speed796 View Post
    Make sure you have fresh gas, I would take it easy for the first tank from low to mid range throttle only. Dont stay on the same rpm, fluctuate your rpm. Dont do any wot yet... Play it safe.. Everyone have there own way or theory of breaking in..
    x2

thanks for reply

can anyone tell me if this was the best idea or should have i bought a new motor, i dont want to have to spend 700 dollars again

+1
    Welcome to the forum

+1
    Who made the top end kit? That will determine a lot as far as quality and lifespan. If you took the time to clean out any shavings in the crank and used the service manual to spec, and as long as you used a quality kit, the next time you should have major engine work would be a low end rebuild. How many hours on the crank?

I would suggest you spend some time reading through the forum threads.... and probably go through all the carbs/reeds before even considering putting it back together with the new parts.

Then once you have got your mind saturated with all the info here.... convert to premix! HAHA

$700 ???? That's nuttin yet!

thanks for reply

to answer the question the rebuild kit was from jsfpiston (jet ski factory)and the crank has 70 hrs on it. i should have the kit by monday and im going to get it put back together by next weekend (i hope) THANKS FOR YOUR HELP MY BUDDIE WAS RIGHT THIS IS THE BEST FORUM ON PWCS YALL ARE ALSOME HERE ARE PICS OF THE KIT
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!B+0r8BQCGk~$(KGrHqN,!iMEzN9OnYO(BN!6w7J8u!~~_12.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	246593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!B+0sPkwBGk~$(KGrHqV,!jUE0C-OW8koBN!6)p23sg~~_12.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	246595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!B+0rpl!!Wk~$(KGrHqV,!h8EzL8PnIW8BN!6wMwMHw~~_12.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	246594

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by colt45_sf View Post
    can anyone tell me if this was the best idea or should have i bought a new motor, i dont want to have to spend 700 dollars again
    This is "a" way to break a motor in, but as stated, not the only way. That debate is for another day and beyond the scope of this thread. I would add though to not expect the compression to be the same as the other two for about 10 hours of riding time. It generally takes that long for these nicasil cylinders to "break in".

Things to consider:

If you only have 70 hours on your crank/motor, then it is relatively new. There is no need for you to install the other 2 pistons that you apparently got with that kit.

Leave the other two cylinders alone if they were in good shape when you lost that 3rd cylinder. Personally, I do not understand how they sent you the other two pistons if they did not know the identification numbers on your two good cylinders.... the pistons are supposed to be matched to the cylinder.

Your head gasket can be reused, provided that there are no bends or kinks on it.

When you remove the old piston from the top of the crank, a couple of washers will fall out. They are to be installed on either side of the new bearing that you have in your kit. The washers are reuseable.

As stated before, make sure that the crank case is hosed down with WD40 and blown out to remove any debri that may have fallen into the crankcase and is hiding underneath the crank.

I would lastly recommend that before you buy full retail, check the Greenhulk classified section. You would be amazed at how much money that you would save if you ask around before you buy. I for instance have cylinder/piston replacement "kit" like yours for sale less the head gasket and extra pistons for about 400 bucks... and my cylinder is painted!

It is worth your while to ask around. On this forum there are folks who love to ride their skis and love to help others who ride them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information