Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

r&d intake grate fitment

i installed the r&d grate on my fzr compaired to my vxr i noticed theres more gap where it meets with the tunnel im trying to silicone it up but its a bitch to get in there is this normal the way it fits up?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7202703.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	246549  

+1
    my girlfriend got her hand in there sealed it all up

+1
    I would be safe to say it'll come out the first ride if it was just pushed in there with fingers

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    both of the R&D grates that I've bought fit like crap. The bolt holes on the XLT grate were off so bad I thought I received the wrong part. The one for the FZS took some serious grinding to get the fitment correct. I've talked to a number of other forum members that have had the same issues. some have said that theirs bolted right in. I still don't feel they have a good track record with cast parts. If you shell out a couple hundred bucks for a part, it should fit. It should fit perfectly!
    BTW, Riva is also having fitment issues as well. A good friend just got his trim tabs from them and they are garbage. The casting has voids, the mating surfaces don't lay flat and the finish looks like it was dipped in asphalt.
    Its a shame, we don't have a big selection to choose from. All we can do is hope we get a "good one".

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    both of the R&D grates that I've bought fit like crap. The bolt holes on the XLT grate were off so bad I thought I received the wrong part. The one for the FZS took some serious grinding to get the fitment correct. I've talked to a number of other forum members that have had the same issues. some have said that theirs bolted right in. I still don't feel they have a good track record with cast parts. If you shell out a couple hundred bucks for a part, it should fit. It should fit perfectly!
    BTW, Riva is also having fitment issues as well. A good friend just got his trim tabs from them and they are garbage. The casting has voids, the mating surfaces don't lay flat and the finish looks like it was dipped in asphalt.
    Its a shame, we don't have a big selection to choose from. All we can do is hope we get a "good one".
    With so many variances in hulls. Molds getting so much use that things arent uniform anymore. R&D's molds might change too and need recast and replaced. Number of things can happen. Mine fit alright. Took some finesse on the front bolts but shes in there. As far as the sealing goes. When I yanked the shoe, I sealed down the grooves of shoe with 5200 and stopped right before the grate.

+1
    My R&D grate was a PITA to install. The bolt holes didn't line up 100% correctly and it took a while to get it all torque down. Working under the ski like that isn't easy either. I used 4200 to fill some gaps on my grate and almost all of it blew out.

+1
    guess im not the only one i had to open the front holes up alittle to make it work also grind a couple ridgid spots down.also where the tail of the grate meets up with the shoe i notice the grate sits slightly lower where on my sho and vxr it sits flush this normal?

+1
    heres a pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7202704.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	246599  

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    I worked mine to get it to sit flush. Some say it doesn't matter, maybey it my OCD, but that kinda crap drives me nuts.

so is it normal or not

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information