Skis run bad - need fuel pumps?

I just bought a 96 SLT780 and a 99 SLTX1050. Both donít run very well if at all.

Iíve been trying to learn a bit on this forum and believe I should at least eliminate fuel problems. I think I have a fuel problem but regardless of if it is the problem or not I donít want this to be a problem later and I want to build reliability. So I want to replace the fuel pumps and fuel lines for now and then rebuild the carbs next if necessary.

Questions:
    Who on the forum sells the fuel pumps?
    I assume I should buy the Mikuni DF52-92 for both machines. Please confirm.
    Is there anything else besides the fuel lines and pumps that should be replaced while I am at it?

I appreciate any info.

Quote Originally Posted by awilson View Post
    I just bought a 96 SLT780 and a 99 SLTX1050. Both don’t run very well if at all.

I’ve been trying to learn a bit on this forum and believe I should at least eliminate fuel problems. I think I have a fuel problem but regardless of if it is the problem or not I don’t want this to be a problem later and I want to build reliability. So I want to replace the fuel pumps and fuel lines for now and then rebuild the carbs next if necessary.

Questions:
    Who on the forum sells the fuel pumps?
    I assume I should buy the Mikuni DF52-92 for both machines. Please confirm.
    Is there anything else besides the fuel lines and pumps that should be replaced while I am at it?

I appreciate any info.
    Ok, now I think that on the 99 model, the fuel pumps are attached or integral to the carbs. Please confirm. If so does that mean I have to rebuild the carbs on the 99?
    Also on the 96, should I upgrade to the pentagon shaped 65L/hr. if so again please advise where I can get it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by awilson View Post
    Ok, now I think that on the 99 model, the fuel pumps are attached or integral to the carbs. Please confirm. If so does that mean I have to rebuild the carbs on the 99?
    Also on the 96, should I upgrade to the pentagon shaped 65L/hr. if so again please advise where I can get it.
    I'm not real well versed on the 1050, but I do believe there is at least an accelerator pump built into one of the carbs.

The '96SLT 780 came stock with a pentagonal 65 L/hr fuel pump. At most you should only need to buy a rebuild kit.

For the 780 you should:
    Rebuild carbs with new kits (John Zigler at Rock County Jet Ski sells these)
    Replace fuel lines.
    Remove fuel selector, clean, and reinstall.
    Set carbs to OEM initial settings
    Rebuild fuel pump.

WOW, looks like this guy is right in my neighborhood because the skis are 20 miles north of Janesville Wisconsin. Thanks for the info and the source!

Thread Information