signs of overheating?

hey guys, last weekend after about an hour of riding my 2001gpr, i lost power and couldnt get over about 20mph. I figured it overheated, limped it back and let it sit for about 20 minutes, ran fine for about 30 minutes after that and started limping again. So I loaded it up and brought it home. I have the d,plate and fuse, so dont think i would get an overheat light. Anyway, I dont suppose this is normal, but I dont know if I was right about the overheating. I assume that was a sign that it was overheated, what is the normal run time on these? thanks.

+1
    [QUOTE=redninja;1752901]...... i lost power and couldnt get over about 20mph. I figured it overheated, limped it back and let it sit for about 20 minutes, ran fine for about 30 minutes after that ...........

The Yamahas are known for having really good cooling systems straight out of the box.... I doubt that this is your problem. I would tell you this though, on a two stroke, if you have an obvious problem, then put it on the trailer and do not ride it anymore until you figure out what the problem is. They have a habit of going from kind of a problem to a very serious problem very quickly. The longer you ride it after it goes bad, the more it is going to cost to fix it.

Back to your problem. Check your compression on each cylinder and note the color on the plugs. You may have lost a cylinder.

At minimum, you may have had a lean seizure episode where that cylinder got hot and temporaily seized, then cooled down "after 20 minutes" then ran fine again. If this was the case, then you have to figure what caused this symptom and fix the issue that caused the seizure. If not, it is a matter of time before it becomes a serious problem.... like a distroyed piston and a damaged cylinder.

thanks for the response, sorry had a family emergency like right after posting. I'll try to go through it alittle bit and see what i can find out.

Thread Information