Looking at a GP1200R Millenium edition

I came across a 00/01 GP1200R Millenium edition waverunner. The owner told me it is a 01 but I am thinking it is a 2000 since that was the Millenium year and I couldn't get any search results on a 01 Millenium waverunner. The pwc hasn't been used in past 3 years and it has been sitting in the garage since. The trailer wheels are flat from probably sitting, the underneath looks very clean, there a few marks/dings/scratches on the top part, and battery is dead. I took the battery home so it can be charged and he is going to take it out the garage so I can get a better look at it next week. He is looking for 2800 for it. Once I charge the battery and take it there, I can at least check the hours.

What else should I check and do you think the price is fair because when I check Nada, the average retail is a little above 4k?

Thanks!

http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2001...dard-Equipment
    http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2000...dard-Equipment

+1
    Check compression should be 110-120 all three cylinders.

+1
    The 2000 model had silver cowlings with burgandy/black splash colors, and the ID numbers located on the back of the boat underneath the trim line of the hull on the right hand side (as you are sitting on it) will have the last 2 numbers as 00. It is a little black tag about 3/4 in by 4 inches. The 2001 GPR's had a deep blue cowling.

Find out if it is "stock". Ask him about the last time he rode it and its condition. Ask him if he did any thing special to allow it to set up for so long. You are trying to find out if the engine was "winterized" without actually asking if it was winterized.

Take a GOOD compression gauge (Snap ON, Proto, etc.) and verify that ALL the cylinders are within 5-10 psig of each other. Compression on a stocker usually range from 115 to 125 psig.

Verify the hours used. Anything less that 100 is a good indicator, but if it were well taken care of then you could consider additional hours.

The valves on each cylinder should cycle open and closed 1 time when you shut the engine off.

These are negotiating points:

Remove the old gas first, then put fresh premium gas in, then take it for a ride. If it hesitates at take off, then you can argue that the boat has been sitting for years and that it is not good for 2 strokes to be sitting idle for that long. You will have to have the carburetors rebuilt.

If it cavitates, you can claim that the impeller and the seal on the shoe is bad and more than likely have to be replaced.

You will have to repack the bearings on the trailer and there could be a chance that the tires are dry rotted. Check that the lights work.

Check the engine bay for red tinted lithium grease. If you find it... don't buy the thing.

Ask Water Woody what I mean...

Just attached a pic of what it exactly looks like.

I never thought about the trailer issue because I have a seadoo (purchased this year) already and was going to purchase a double trailer and if anything needs to be done to that single before selling, I would have to fix it which would cost more money.
    * Ski is stock
    * i need to learn how to test and run a ski on land - not sure where I place the hose to the let the water run through the ski.

I dont believe it was ever winterized and the more I think about what you are telling me, the more I think I should pass upon the offer. I was just thinking if it hasn't been used for sometime, that takes away of any abuse to the ski but having a ski being unused for years and not properly taken care of can be just as worse.

Thanks again for all the assistance. I was told to come here from a local car site and I am surprised with all the help and info I have received at this time.

I need to buy some equipment to test the compression
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skis 020.jpg 
Views:	1624 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	246862  

Looks like it has FL reg'n numbers .... salt water machine???

I bought mine with one cylinder having a much lower compression than any of the other 3 cyl's. All I had to do was rebuild the carbs and it all went back to normal now. All cyl's have near identical comp #'s and it runs nice.

Now looking to spend a few $$$s on it to make it a bit quicker and handle that much better. Good luck ... IMO it's the best looking of the GP-series with the silver side covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mankthetank19 View Post
    Is that the actual ski, or just a similar one? There's three gprs in that photo. That guy should know something about skis.

You may want to take your Seadoo battery along, or at least a battery charger as a booster. I'd had very little luck with smaller batteries (jetskis, lawn mowers, etc) holding a reasonable charge after sitting through the winter without maintenance, much less three years. Besides, even if it comes alive, it's probably going to require some extra cranking.

+1
    Welcome to the forum! Ditto on all the above ^

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mankthetank19 View Post

I never thought about the trailer issue because I have a seadoo (purchased this year) already and was going to purchase a double trailer and if anything needs to be done to that single before selling, I would have to fix it which would cost more money.
    * Ski is stock
    * i need to learn how to test and run a ski on land - not sure where I place the hose to the let the water run through the ski.

I dont believe it was ever winterized and the more I think about what you are telling me, the more I think I should pass upon the offer. I was just thinking if it hasn't been used for sometime, that takes away of any abuse to the ski but having a ski being unused for years and not properly taken care of can be just as worse.

Thanks again for all the assistance. I was told to come here from a local car site and I am surprised with all the help and info I have received at this time.

I need to buy some equipment to test the compression
    That looks like member Tdub's ski My bud up in the cape coral area?????

Yes, the pic was not mine but it was actually grabbed from the for sale section. I am in NY so it is a fresh water ski.

I just searched for a millenium gp1200r and that was the first one.

Thanks again for all the assistance. I am still searching the forums and ready the stickies

Thread Information