Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

free flow exhaust kit VS through hull

Guys is there any difference between these types of exhasuts. I was more into free flow bacause dont want to make any extra hole in the hull and i want my ski to look as stock as possible!! What about the sound of those two, is it true that freeflow kit makes a lot more noise than the through hull?

+1
    I don't have either yet but

Idea generally seems to be free flow will drone a very annoying amount
    where a thru hull will sound lots crisper and not drone.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    I don't have either yet but

Idea generally seems to be free flow will drone a very annoying amount
    where a thru hull will sound lots crisper and not drone.
    The free flow on my GTXSC did have an annoying drone around 3000rpm, which is right about the speed in a no wake zone. The through hull on my RXPX just sounds mean, but the volume gets annoying while going through a no wake zone. That is with a TDR waterbox though, stock is probably quieter. The difference is the through hull dumps the sound behind you while the FF seems to turn the ski into a big drum. The sound seems to go right through you and rattle your fillings.
    Neither one will make a big difference in performance numbers, the through hull cleans up the engine bay a lot. It really just is a matter of personal preference. What ski do you ride and what are your goals for it?

+1
    Im thinking of going free flow also, jsut want to keep it stock looking. If its not going to give me much of a performance increase over a thru hull, im not going to drill a hole in my hull.

+1
    I wouldn't say either one of them gives any noticable performance but the thru hull definately sounds better hands down.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by h2jim View Post
    I wouldn't say either one of them gives any noticable performance but the thru hull definately sounds better hands down.
    and you get the rush from puting a 2 7/8" hole in a perfectly good ski while praying you didn't missalign the template!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by szt8b7 View Post
    and you get the rush from puting a 2 7/8" hole in a perfectly good ski while praying you didn't missalign the template!
    +1 on that!

+1
    Thru hall sounds good but in my opinion not loud enough it still feels like something is missing maybe a tdr waterbox. Anyways between the two I like the thru hall more due to the gargle you get down low sounds kinda mean and don't worry about drilling the hole just make sure you lay tape on top of the fiberglass and start drilling counterclockwise and stay flush to the hull otherwise you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by szt8b7 View Post
    The free flow on my GTXSC did have an annoying drone around 3000rpm, which is right about the speed in a no wake zone. The through hull on my RXPX just sounds mean, but the volume gets annoying while going through a no wake zone. That is with a TDR waterbox though, stock is probably quieter. The difference is the through hull dumps the sound behind you while the FF seems to turn the ski into a big drum. The sound seems to go right through you and rattle your fillings.
    Neither one will make a big difference in performance numbers, the through hull cleans up the engine bay a lot. It really just is a matter of personal preference. What ski do you ride and what are your goals for it?
    Planning on some mods but i would like to keep it as stock as possible (the hull i mean) if it could be possible i would llike to keep the stock exhaust but i dont think it can handle the larger sc and ic. You know.. bone stock outside but lots of HP inside...!

+1
    Well you answered your own question then free flow it sounds like to me if you don't want to have to cut into the hull. And no you will not be able to keep stock exhaust you will at minimum have to remove the resonator to make room for the IC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information