Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 gp1200 won't turn over

Started it earlier in the day after fueling towed it to the ramp about 20mi away tried to start it and no joy. All I get is what sounds like a solenoid clicking and the battery is good.... Whats the most likely cause as the starter has been strong and the ski hasn't had any problems like this before?

Thanks guys

+1
    The clicking noise is probably the solenoid. But just because it clicks, doesn't mean its good. The internal contacts might have high resistance or something. So the problem could be the solenoid, the starter or a bad connection at either the solenoid, battery, or starter. Or even the big ground wire.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kjackman View Post
    Started it earlier in the day after fueling towed it to the ramp about 20mi away tried to start it and no joy. All I get is what sounds like a solenoid clicking and the battery is good.... Whats the most likely cause as the starter has been strong and the ski hasn't had any problems like this before?

Thanks guys
    I would look at the battery first its the most likely source of the problem.

Checked the battery... Load test and voltage... All good. It's never had a problem turning over before and it started flawlessly earlier before i trailered it to the ramp. All the battery cables appear snug and corrosion free. I haven't been in the electronics box yet that will be for Monday I guess

Thanks again for any suggestions

+1
    Ok battery is good.Next i would suspect the solenoid or starter.You can try jumping the solenoid by touching the 2 large posts together.You could hook a Volt meter to the starter and seee how many volts you have when cranking.Not much there should find easy enough.

*Sorry to hi-jack*
    I am having the same problem with my ski and when i jump the two terminals the starter doesnt engage and it seems like its grounding out? The volt meter drops significantly when I jump the two posts to put power to the starter. My ski started fine last year but this is the first time I am trying to start it this year. Could it be possibly a bad starter?

+1
    Definitely sounds like a bad starter, Hockey369

+1
    Hockey
    Could be a bad battery try one you know is good and charged.If battery checks out good then starter or possibly impeller/pump.Something is stoping the starter from turning.Remove plugs and see if it turns over.

Thanks for the suggestions. I could be my battery, but when i was testing it i had it hooked up to my jeep so i know i had plenty of power in the system. Its odd though cuz it started fine everytime last year and then I let it sit over the winter and finally had a free weekend to try and start it to get it going again and the starter wont turn. But the impeller/pump is something i will look at, i didnt think to look at that at all. Thanks for the suggestions!

Ok finally had some time to trouble shoot... Impeller housing is free, tested voltage all good positive and ground from battery through solenoid to starter have 12v and ground at starter... Any sugguestions before I assume it's a bad starter...

Thanks again guys!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information