750 SL Engine Issues

While out on the water today my 1996 700 SL started to make a horrendous noise at about quarter throttle and suddenly stopped running. I hit the starter and it reluctantly started up, but knocked above an idle. While attempting to nurse it to shore it suddenly started to run fine. I had about two miles to go and had no problem at any R.P.M. About an hour later I took it out again and it did the exact same thing. I feel that I have an above average grasp of the mechanical working of an engine, but am completely baffled by the behavior of this engine. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Banned User
    Milwaukee WI
    I would remove the jet pump and see that everything in there is good first, to eliminate that as a possiblilty. A knocking noise is usually not a good thing. Could be piston clearances are too large, or a bad rod bearing. It might be worth pulling the cylinder heads and having a look. Make sure there are no foreigh objects in there that could tell you if you have a crank bearing or rod bearing going out. Better to catch it now than before it completely blows up and takes the whole engine with it.

Thread Information