urgent help needed! something electric?

today i would have finished my triple pipe gpr build if only the electoics hadnt messed me around i went to start it up but the battery is dead so had to use jumper leads from a donor battery, the ski would crank and start up but the starter motor would continue to crank even once i let go of the green button, so i took the jumper lead off which would stop the starter cranking and the engine would continue to run....until it died, no spark? would crank again, starter wouldnt stop until i took jumper lead off but would atleast make it crank doing it this way, still no spark? then there was nothing, no cranking at all... took leads off starter solenoid and tested solenoid by touching red wire onto battery and would click in and out perfectly, so the earth going to the solenoid is good, so ive got no power output coming out of the advent cdi to the solenoid or the coils, put stock cdi back in and still nothing. anybody know whats going on? am hoping to fix it tomorrow so i can take the ski out so ive got 12 hours to find a solution...

ok got it to crank again, i had disconnected the red power wire to the fuse block accidently, got solenoid to work again once power went to this wire, but is still sticking on? also when i touch power to the red fuse wire the mfd alarm for fuel goes off (because its low) but shouldnt go off because im not pressing the button... so whats activating the green start switch?

+1
    It sounds like you either got a bad solenoid or a bad start switch. if the solenoid is sticking it will run down the battery then kill the motor because the charging system cant handle the power drain and eventually ruin the regulator or something else. You need to get a test meter to check the switches and solenoid.

+1
    Heres something to try if you dont have a tester. open the electrical box and find the small wire that goes to the solenoid it should be a brown wire make sure the battery is hot a low battery can cause the solenoid to stick. crank the motor if the starter still tries to spin after you release the green start button unplug the brown wire going to the solenoid. if this stops the starter from spinning the solenoid is OK BUT if it doesnt stop the starter from spinning the motor disconnect the battery wire ASAP. and replace the solenoid.

Also it would be better to do this test with the spark plugs out of the motor.

haha yes spark plugs out! although that dosent explain why ive suddenly got no spark? it ran good yesturday, i only ran it for 30 seconds but had good spark, (the starter was still sticking then, also i am not using the electrical box anymore so everything is accesible, i did try the solenoid by touching the brown wire to + and it went on and off nicley but it didnt have the starter hooker up then, ill try you theory today mudslanger cheers

+1
    I hope the CDI isnt damaged the reason i wanted you to try the test without the plugs in was to keep it from starting if it was firing the plugs. and to keep stress off the starter if the solenoid was sticking. Good luck hope this helps

i dont think its the cdi because i also tryed the stock cdi, ill go pick ski up nnow and let you know how i go

more progress, got the ski running, took it for a water test, tried the solenoid all hooked up and it seemed to work, would click in and out fine but would have a slight delay? about 2 seconds, so i hooked it up and seemed to work ok, i found that the 'F' earth needs to be connected to the 'F" earth on the coils, oops.. that seemed to fix the problem and the spark came back after conecting the earth, but then went to start ski half an hour later and the starter would stay engaged, just would continously crank, until i disconected the battery, and when i would touch the red + back on it would just flick the starter slightly, like you just tapped the green button, and then would come and go, would somtimes crank fine. anybody know what im missing?

Thread Information